Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yellowish Water?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Yellowish Water?

I thought the pool water looked a little yellow yesterday evening. There were some clouds, but a bright sunset, so I thought it could have just been the ambient lighting. I hadn't fully tested the water in about a week, so I decided to take a look at it. I got a CC reading of 0.5, which is unusual for me...I had a fresh load of Chlorine from the pool store (and its 2 for 1 every weekend in its cheap!) so I decided to bump it up to shock for the night...I had a little bit left in the jug after measuring out about 132oz so I dumped it all in. The TA was also a bit low, so I added in 73oz (weight) of Baking Soda first thing this morning.

It looked better to me this morning, but since I'm leaving the pool in my wife's hands for a few days, I thought I'd wash out the cartridge filter. See pictures below...

Washing it out:

After the cleaning:

The pool now:
    (there is some permanent staining along the wall the cleaner hose is against...previous owner left it for me)

Test Date 4/10/16 4/11/16
    FC 9 24
    CC 0.5 0
    TC 9.5 24
    pH 7.5 7.9
    CH 450 425
    TA 60 90
    CYA N/A 25

CYA is lower than I thought it would be. It had been around 35 throughout January-March. I had't tested it since March 17th, but have used some pucks on and off when we've been on short trips throughout 2016.

We haven't had much rain, so I've been refilling a bit more than normal from evaporation.

With spring in Florida, I've had a fair amount of pollen/tree stuff in the pool that I've had to stay on top of skimming out. I assume most of it is Pine tree or oak tree pollen and oak leaves. I don't think I've had enough leaves or leaves that have been in long enough to stain the water.

When I clean the filter (maybe once per month or month and a half) its usually just 'dirty' (grayish water with dirt flakes and the pleats are grayish), not like this.

Any ideas?
    15.5K gal, concrete, 1HP AO Smith pump, Hayward C1200 cartridge filter, Zodiac T5 Duo auto cleaner, 8 panel solar heater controlled by Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235

2. Back To Top    #2
    Conroe, TX

Re: Yellowish Water?

Looks like pollen to me. I am no expert.
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

South Texas

What test kit are you using? When in doubt, perform an overnight OCLT test I say.
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tallahassee, FL

I would have her hold the FC a little higher than normal until you get back UNLESS she is able/willing to test for the OCLT:

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

I really think it is/was pollen. That is just how my cart. filter used to look during pollen season.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Agree, probably pollen but the OCLT will tell the story. Holding FC higher toward shock level for a while never hurts anything.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6
    Pacific NW

I think it's Pollen.

If you put a skimmer sock over the skimmer basket, you will get less of it in your filter.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

TF100 test kit.

My wife's mornings don't support her eagerly doing a OCLT. So we are proceeding with keeping FC elevated while I'm gone. I threw in a couple tablets to provide cover for her forgetting.

She said she has noticed some yellow pollen on her hopefully that's what it is.

Thanks for the quick responses!