Is this yellow algae, pollen or what?

Mar 30, 2011
Clearwater, FL
I had a lot of trouble with this gray dirt building up rapidly on the pool floor last season. A few times I found little water bugs living happily in the pool even though the chlorine was good or a bit high. Sweeping the walls and floor make the pool very cloudy. I tried yellow out and shocking, etc... I also tried all-type algae killer copper sulfate. Also had the pool tested for phosphates and was told it was low. Now I'm not even sure what this is... is it just pollen dust?
IMG_2259.jpg

Go easy on that copper, it can stain your pool, hair, fingernails green. There are quite a few people here spending a lot of time and money trying to get copper out of their pools.

Some water bugs here and there is normal.

The easiest way to tell if there is algae growing in the pool is to Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Give us some test results and tell us what test kit you are using.

Also, update your profile with your location and we might be able to help more with the pollen question. Add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Hey there, I think we can get you going but we need to get some information :) Could you post your numbers for the following, I think you have a plaster pool.
Pool School - Recommended Levels

FC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

I found little water bugs living happily in the pool even though the chlorine was good or a bit high. Her in post #5 is the answer, I used it and it worked great :)
Water bugs...

Sweeping the walls and floor make the pool very cloudy. dpeneds on you levels

I tried yellow out and shocking, etc... did you do a SLAM or just use the "bag o shock"

I also tried all-type algae killer copper sulfate. We do not ever recommend cooper based products as it raises the metal level.

The "dirt" accumulating on your pool floor is dead algae....almost surely.

That means your chlorine has been inadequate in your pool for extended periods.

If you want to get rid of the water bugs and the dead algae, you will need to keep your chlorine more consistently.

If you want a clear pool, please stay out of the pool store and start learning how to manage your pool water. It's challenging at first but will become second nature to you if you want to learn.

I would suggest you start by reading "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

Can you post up some very recent test results?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.