Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading our AG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrading our AG pool

The last 2 summers we've been using a Summer Escapes 15x48 pool that we had bought used but it was developing more leaks so we decided to pitch it and get a new one. Today we ordered a 18x52 Relaxing Meadows pool from Leslie's with a 20mil liner, foam cove and floor pad, and a DE filter. Looking forward to getting it filled (well water) and enjoying some pool time!
    I'm not new to AG pool care but I'm sure I'll have questions about the DE filter among other things.
    Round 18' Sharkline pool, 8600 gallons of well water. Hayward 40gpm single speed pump and DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upgrading our AG pool

Alright! Congrats on upgrade #1!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Woot woot...I'm excited for you!

~Kevin (MN)
    13.5k gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl
    2HP Waterway Pump, 200sqft Hayward Element Filter
    BBB Method & AuquaSmarte Inline Chlorinator, TF-100 Test Kit
    Kevin, TFP Believer & Supporter
    (Yup, I drank the pool water)
    13.5K gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl, TF-100 Test Kit
    2HP Waterway Pump, 200 SqFt Hayward Element Filter
    Recommendations: Pool School, TFTestkits & Pool Math

4. Back To Top    #4

SWEET on the upgrade! Do you have a good test yet? THAT is the number one thing to have on hand for a jewel of a pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    SWEET on the upgrade! Do you have a good test yet? THAT is the number one thing to have on hand for a jewel of a pool!

Kim
    Yes, I have a Taylor kit
    Round 18' Sharkline pool, 8600 gallons of well water. Hayward 40gpm single speed pump and DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Good test kit! SO glad you have it!

Have you started on the bigger site work yet? I feel for your shoulders and back when you do it LOL

We would love to see where it is going and to offer any help you might need from behind a keyboard (sorry not able to help with a shovel this far away LOL)

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you started on the bigger site work yet? I feel for your shoulders and back when you do it LOL

Kim
    When we leveled the spot for our old pool we made it 20' wide so the hard part is already done. I do need to do some additional work but at least I'm not starting from scratch.

8. Back To Top    #8

HERE WE GO!
    IMG_0954.jpg
    Yesterday evening I cleaned off the area where the new pool will be replacing our old one. The frame and wall were delivered today and I have a transit level coming, so tonight I'll be working on making the area level.

9. Back To Top    #9

That should not be too painfull. my yard is sloped, a lot of back and shoulder.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay willing helpers.........
    The good news is: after 2 years of my old pool sitting on it, the ground is very well compacted and should not settle.
    The bad news: after 2 years of my old pool sitting on it, the ground is like trying to scrape the top off of concrete.
    Suggestions? I do have a tiller, is that the best way to take off a couple of inches?

11. Back To Top    #11

If it's dry spray it down with water that'll soften it up.
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Can you control the tiller enough to not go down too far?

I like Krazys idea about wetting it down to make it easier to work with........use a flat shovel. The water will have the added benefit of showing you the high and low spots. Standing water=low, no water=high LOL

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

Can you control the tiller enough to not go down too far?

I like Krazys idea about wetting it down to make it easier to work with........use a flat shovel. The water will have the added benefit of showing you the high and low spots. Standing water=low, no water=high LOL

Kim
    That was my concern, however I did try it and it barely scratched the surface
    Tonight I made a simple water level: IMG_0958.jpg and started on the excavation.

Tonight it's getting a soaking to hopefully get some more dirt out tomorrow.

14. Back To Top    #14

Love the water level! SO useful and so simple! OUCH on the tiller not even making a dent I hope the soaking will help!

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

We were fortunate to have a friend with a small Kubota. Maybe you can ask around....
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    We were fortunate to have a friend with a small Kubota. Maybe you can ask around....
    I drive past a Kubota dealer every day but my wife wasn't fond of the idea of bringing one home

17. Back To Top    #17

I'll try to keep progress documented.

18. Back To Top    #18

How are you doing? I dealt with clay and there was no way I'd like to do it again!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

We ended up renting a skid loader, $200 but saved my back and many blisters I'm sure!
    It will be another 2 weeks before I will have an weekend to devote to the prep, but at that time I plan to get some crushed limestone and pack that down as a base. Then I can start assembling the pool.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

I think it took me a whole month last year to get my ground prep done, due to all the rain we got. Hopefully you will get done quicker!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast