Return Jets obstructing view for vacuuming

bill2

Apr 5, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Hello,

I just moved and have a ~12,000 gallon pool that I don't know how to operate all that well.

When vacuuming, the wake of the return jets obstruct the view in the deep end and I can't see well enough to vacuum well. My pool has setup has two valves I can turn on and off to control the return jets. One is for the 3 main jets and the other is for a dedicated line to run a Polaris 360.

Is it safe to turn both off while the pump is running? I haven't done this assuming the water has to go somewhere and this would create too much pressure in my system.

Any other tips? Every video on Youtube I see seems to show larger pools and jet configurations where this is not an issue.

Thanks

Bill

Hello Bill and welcome to TFP. :wave: You're right about not closing everything off on the pressure side. That water does indeed to go somewhere. Have you tried adjusting the valves a little at a time and watching your filter pressure gauge to see how it responds? Also, do your return jets have adjustable eyeballs so that you could point them slightly downward to avoid causing those wakes? Perhaps that might help, or a combination of the two?

Perhaps others will a few ideas later as well. Oh, and when you get a chance, please try to add your pool info to your signature. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Great to have you with us.

Welcome to TFP!

It may be as simple as just aiming the jets down a little so they don't disturb the surface of the water. Anything you do to reduce the flow through the returns will reduce the efficiency of your vacuum.

If you can't do that, try wearing polarized sunglasses. They cut down the reflections off the surface making it easier to see. I have an old pair in my equipment room that I use when it's windy and I'm trying to clean the bottom of the pool.

Welcome! :wave:

I know the frustration you feel. I'm able to empty my spa into the pool, then refill it while I vacuum so I have no movement in the pool aside from the vacuum. If you're unable to re-aim your return jets as far as you'd like, do some experimenting. I found out that a 1/2" PVC fitting will friction fit in my returns. With tess, 90s and 45s I can aim my return streams anywhere.

Thanks. All good advice I will try this weekend. My Polaris is getting repaired now. I am fighting cleaning up the pool after some pressure washing around the deck that put some sand / fine dirt in the pool. My Polaris did fairly well but I need to manual vac for now while waiting / hoping repairs are done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.