Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low suction at the skimmers

1. Back To Top    #1

Low suction at the skimmers

Hey guys, new pool owner so please bear with me. I noticed when I checked the skimmer baskets, they were near empty. I stood and watched small items float right on by! When I run the auto pool cleaner, there's plenty of pressure there. I've removed the 4 cartridge filters and thoroughly cleaned them, as they were pretty dirty. I've also cleaned the pump basket, although there was very little debris in there. I primed the pump and put the cover back on. Any help would be aprreciated as I'm constantly hand skimming to keep the floaters out of the pool!
    Inground gunite with waterfall spa
    22,000 gal 2HP Hayward w-3/4 Hayward
    Booster Heywood Pool Heater
    swim clear cartridge filter
    1 1/2 HP Blower Silencer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low suction at the skimmers

Is wind a factor as opposed to you skimmer positions?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Wind doesn't seem to be a factor. It doesn't make any difference whether the cleaner is on or off either...
    1 1/2 HP Blower Silencer

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe try redirecting your return jet eyeballs? Are they putting out good flow against your hand?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Very good flow. I haven't changed their direction, it seems that there is a good clockwise flow to the jets. The debris moves well around the pool, it just bypasses going into the skimmers, and collects in front of it.
    1 1/2 HP Blower Silencer

6. Back To Top    #6

Are the weirs missing? A key element to skimmer operation is velocity. A certain amount of water has to flow into the skimmers to replenish what the pump has drawn down. If the opening is too large, the velocity goes down and nothing gets pulled in. That's why skimmer weirs float just enough to have about 1/4" of water across the top.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

How familiar are you with your equipment? is is possible the skimmer is off and you are just pulling water from the main drain? A photo of your equipment pad and inside the skimmer with the basket removed may help.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

8. Back To Top    #8

The weirs are in place, water level seems right.
    1 1/2 HP Blower Silencer

9. Back To Top    #9

I'll post a pic in the morning. I'm not too familiar with the equipment, just what the pool guy showed me a week ago. He wasn't too thorough.
    1 1/2 HP Blower Silencer

10. Back To Top    #10

Often there is some stuff that goes by the skimmer but ultimately it ends up in the basket. Do you have stuff in the basket to empty every day?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Very little in one, zero in the other.
    1 1/2 HP Blower Silencer

12. Back To Top    #12

Do you have a bottom drain?

If yes, is there a valve on the suction side plumbing to switch between drain and skimmers? Or a diverter valve under the skimmer basket?
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

1 1/2 HP Blower Silencer

14. Back To Top    #14

And the skimmer basket
    [URL="[URL=http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/lunanippy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04/20160411_075630_zpsfil2svsj.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g340/lunanippy/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04/20160411_075630_zpsfil2svsj.jpg"][IMG]http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g340/lunanippy/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04/20160411_075630_zpsfil2svsj.jpg
    1 1/2 HP Blower Silencer

15. Back To Top    #15

Copy the IMG code to the right of the pic and paste it in the post and it will load like this

TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

You have a powered Jandy valve on the input to the pump, right now it is pulling water from the right side pipe only. Have you ever seen it swing the other way when running any of the various modes from the control panel?
    The second hole in the skimmer would go to the main drain if not plumbed independently. Is the second hole plugged hard to tell in the picture?

Around the back of the valve there should be a toggle switch that will allow you to override the control panel. Flip that switch in the opposite direction and wait till the handle is pointing at the pump then flip it to the middle neutral position to stop it from moving. With the handle pointing at the pump it will be pulling from both sides equally. Start the pump and see what happens. If the skimmer starts working put the toggle back to the original position, the handle will go back to the way it is in the picture then you will have to figure out what mode on the panel causes that valve to open.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks! I'm gonna look as soon as I get home!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'll get the hang of this yet!
    1 1/2 HP Blower Silencer

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Here's my take.......

The powered Jandy valve on the right of your pic is on the suction side. The pipe attached on the left side of that is your spa suction (spa bottom drain). To the right of that powered valve is pool suction. It appears there is more than one pipe on the pool suction side. If you can provide a pic of that area, it may help us better assist you.

With the current valve positions in the pic, your setup is in pool with spa spillover mode. In your pic, the powered Jandy valve on the left is on the return (pressure) side. The left most pipe is the spa return. The pipe directly below the manual Jandy valve is the return to the pool. The pipe to the right of the powered Jandy valve is for the waterfall.

The pipe directly below the left powered Jandy valve is for your pressure side cleaner (attached directly to the output of the boost pump). The cleaner boost pump appears to be fed from the tee fitting in the pool return side.

I see you also have a SWG. Is it functional? Please add it to your signature as it may help at a later time when you have further questions. Also add any model numbers you can see of your other equipment.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

19. Back To Top    #19

Alright, you guys know your equipment! I'm new to this whole pool thing so please bare with me. ATT TECH 2, I did move the valve with the handle facing the pump. This position caused the spa waterfall to stop, and the spa water level to drop. I have not seen any valves change automatically, although there is a preset filter/cleaner program running
    PROAVIA, thanks for that info, I'm told the SWG is non functional due to the pool having a stone cap.
    1 1/2 HP Blower Silencer

20. Back To Top    #20

Is it the blower silencer?