Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above ground pool filter hose leaking bad!

1. Back To Top    #1

Above ground pool filter hose leaking bad!

Hi

The specifications for my pool should be on the bottom of this post. I winterized the pool filter in our garage. I just hooked everything up and topped off the water in my pool and before I could start the filter it leaked real bad.
    So I try to tighten the rings real hard and it did not help. So I switched intake and outtake hoses and same problem with a different hose in place. It is not a drip, it actually leaks a lot, I would say a quart every 5 minutes (That's a guess).
    I am not the very handy type but I can manage easy things to fix. I called my pool install guy he wants $85 to come fix it.
    I am posting 2 pictures and I posted a video of the leak on youtube here:

IMG 1630 - YouTube

Thxs

Pat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12' AG, 3200GA, cartridge filter, pool installed 6/20/2015, Taylor K-2006 test kit,

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Above ground pool filter hose leaking bad!

Hey there, seems you got a leak

You see where the white piece goes into the filter, it looks like it is leaking from there.. it is probably not broke but if it is you can get a new one from amazon Amazon.com : Pool Pump and Filter Universal Hose Adapter : Intex Pool Drain Hose Connector : Patio, Lawn Garden walmart may also have one if it is broke...

It looks like it was put on using pipe dope, you could unscrew it, clean the inside and outside threads. inspect it to see if its broke.. if it is not you could use pipe tape or pipe dope, both are in the pipe isle at lowes..

Hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much for the post. I really don't think the white part you mention is defective. It seems the hose and clamps are just not doing their jobs. I will on the other end buy the pipe dope and give that a shot.

Thanks so much

Pat
    12' AG, 3200GA, cartridge filter, pool installed 6/20/2015, Taylor K-2006 test kit,

4. Back To Top    #4

One thing I would think about doing is hard plumbing it using unions and valves so you can service your equipment as needed. It makes life so much easier in the long run.

If you are interested I bet someone could walk you through how to do it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Kim

Kim

Thanks so much for the reply, I will keep this in mind for the future. The guy came over we just could not fix it ourselves and guess what, the rings that hold the hose onto the filter were not tight enough. My pride took a hit as I tightened those as hard as I could LOL.

Thanks again

Patrick

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hose clamps are always the first place to look in a connection like that......they are easy to get a little crooked and just don't do a great job.

If you are tightening anything "as hard as you can", you are tightening it too much. You only need a smooth seal and a firm connection.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

ok thanks

Pat