Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover and Reel

1. Back To Top    #1

Mechanicsburg OH

Solar Cover and Reel

Any opinions on what type of solar cover and reel to buy? I normally buy a 16 mil cover and it seems to heat pretty well. Would like to buy a low profile reel to mount under my diving board but cannot seem to find one that is low enough. If this is not possible I was looking at the Easy Gear Stainless Steel Cover Reel ( Has anybody ever purchased this reel? If so, can 1 person operate? - Thanks!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Solar Cover and Reel

We usually recommend buying the thinnest cheapest cover. 8 mil is most common. They are easier to handle and thicker covers don't seem to last much longer. The hometown favorite solar cover is this one, DIY Solar Cover Roller

Here is the cover I bought, Yard Guard Clear Choice Solar Blanket 18' X 40' Rectangle - 8 Mil. 18' X 40' Rectangle Solar Blanket. HPI SB1840CL3.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Solar Cover and Reel

There is little difference in performance between solar covers. A heavy cover may last just a bit longer, but it's still difficult to justify the extra cost, extra weight and bulk, since it won't make the pool any warmer. Preventing evaporative cooling is the primary function, and the thin cheap ones do that as well as any. Much easier to handle, take less space and cheaper. The only real downside is replacing it more often.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit