Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What salt to buy

1. Back To Top    #1

What salt to buy

I can buy
    Diamond Crystal 40# Pool Salt (99%)for $6.45 a bag or
    Diamond Crystal 40# Salt Solar Crystals (99.6%) for $4.37 a bag.
    Besides $2 a bag, what is the difference.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: What salt to buy

The pool salt will probably be crushed a bit smaller and dissolve faster. Either will work but the faster dissolve rate is not worth $2 a bag IMO.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I have only used solar salt in my pool, same stuff.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I order a salt testing kit, after I test I'll buy the cheaper salt for the pool. I should be able to pick up a pump and SWG Monday at Discount Salt Pools. It's about a 30 minute drive from the house. The salt can dissolve while I procrastinate installing the new equipment.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

LOL! That is how I install equipment too. No comment on how long my heat pump has been sitting in the box!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Just converted to a SWG and put 900 lbs of the cheaper solar salt and it dissolved in about 4 hours. I did brush it which seemed to speed up the process.