High CYA = Cloudy Water?

Pat, Thanks for the reply and for clarification, I've backwashed several times since beginning this process. Since my normal pressure is around 6 psi I backwash once my pressure rises 3 psi or more. I have a slightly larger flex pipe than was on my system last year due to relocating the pump several feet away from my pool (5-7 ft). Best of my recollection the pressure was normally around 10 psi on the older/smaller pipe.

I have not added anything else other than the pool bleach. As for the clarity of the water, it may have improved slightly since my first pic post but as you can see from my second picture, you can see the cleaner (Diver Dave) but my water remains cloudy. I've ran my pump 24/7 for 3 weeks straight now and thought I would have had better results. I pass the OLT test and my CC is 0.5 but the water remains cloudy. I thought about adding DE now that I have a properly operating pressure gauge.

I'm still concerned that your CC reading is right at the edge. That tells me your FC is working hard and consuming something that requires UV to oxidize. So there's definitely a battle going on there, even though we don't always see it with the naked eye. Interesting you passed an OCLT though. Let's watch this for another 24 hours or so. See if there is ANY improvement. If not, I'll bang the gong for more advisors to focus-in on you situation to see if there's anything else we need to consider.

Sounds like a plan Pat. I am just coming in from outside and inspecting my fittings as I wasn't sure about my pressure reading being low. I believe I hear air coming out of the waste port (with the pump off) and still in the filter mode. Spider gasket perhaps? It's not much air however it does push a few drops of water to the port. I didn't want to fool with that since that's not the culprit of my cloudy water and with my luck I might be out of commission with filtering my water.

I have purchased some 1.5 inch pvc unions and I'm thinking about using hard pipe rather than the flex pipe in the future. I'm not much of a handy man but it seems pretty straightforward. I did verify that my old pipe was 1 1/4 inch and I went up to 1 1/2 inch pipe. Would than account for the pressure drop?20160420_141017.jpg

Attachments

• 20160420_134639_001.jpg
    20160420_134639_001.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 49
A larger pipe certainly could result in slightly lower pressure. I would tend to agree with you that a faulty spider gasket could be the reason for the sound. As long as you're not seeing sand come-out of the return jets, and not having any other issues, I would agree to just focus on the SLAM for now. One thing at a time.... just in case.

Your pool should have cleared. I think you have killed all the organics just fine. Now what needs to happen is your filter needs to clear the water and it doesn't seem to be doing it. I haven't read back through this thread........Have you opened the filter to take a look at the sand? If not, it is certainly time to do that.

DE Question

A week or so ago I had a post which i can no longer find in here (my guess is it was deleted due to inactivity on my part) regarding cloudy water and my CYA level. Over the past few days I have added approximately 1 cup of DE each time to raise my pressure 1 psi (normal 5 psi). When my pressure rises to 7-8 I backwash and then repeat the steps of adding DE. My question is, since there is such a short time between adding the DE and having to backwash (less than 24 hrs in between) does that indicate that I have hidden things in my water that would result in my less than crystal clear water?

I have started my SLAM over again, although I pass the OLT. I'm of course brushing and vacuuming daily. Any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20160430_133609.jpg
    20160430_133609.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 25

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: DE Question

You have it figured correctly. It's probably dead algae, but you do want to keep Fc up at shock level until things are clear. Odds are, that won't be hard to do. If everything really is dead, you probably are only losing 2 or 3 FC per day. Assuming you have some CYA in the water.

Thanks Richard for confirming my beliefs. I will continue to keep my FC up at shock level and maintain my routine and see if my clarity improves even more. It has improved since I began this back on April 10th but not as quickly as I thought it should have. If it doesn't improve soon then I will know that I have a multi-port valve problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.