Just tested, need advice

bwright42tx

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2008
Hello Everyone,

Just a little advice please.

I still have a faily new pool (It was built last July). Not sure if the plaster is still curing, but thought that might matter on the numbers.

I've been using mostly bleach, but suplementing with the original batch of TriChlor tabs provided by the PB (It was a bucket of 100 Tabs and I've used the whole bucket up now)

The pool has not been drained since he original filling, but we had hurricane Ike flood/over flow it once last year, and it just looded/overflowed again recently from these rain storms.

Here are my numbers from my TF 100 testkit:

CYA 30-35
CL 4.0
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 160
CH 150

My question is on the CYA and the CH. Should I owrry about the CH, or since it's still a fairly new pool, should I just continue to let that climb over time? And on th CYA should I boost that a little, or leave it alone? I would have thought the TriChlor would have raised it more than that, so I'm wondering if the flooding/overflowing/additon of rainwater has helped keep it down?

Feel free to somment on my other numbers too.

Thanks,

Bryan

Yes, raise your CH level to at least 250. You want to leave CH alone for the first four to eight weeks after plastering, but you are well past that now.

Your CYA level is acceptable, so there isn't any rush to do anything with it. CYA does tend to drift down slowly over time as water gets splashed out or lost in other ways. Therefore, one typically raises CYA to around 50 at the start of the season and lets it drift down over the course of the summer. You could do that, or wait till it goes down a little and deal with it then.

If you are having problems with the PH constantly rising, you might want to try lowering your TA level. If you are not having any problem with PH rising, then TA can stay where it is.

Yeah, the TA has been a problem. It was reading 8.0, I put enough acid in it to drop it to 7.2 yesterday, and it's already back to 7.5, so I'll just keep dropping it to 7.2 until the TA is significantly lower. The Spa spillover seems to aerate the water enough to gradually rise the PH anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

Bryan

bwright42tx said:
Yeah, the TA has been a problem. It was reading 8.0, I put enough acid in it to drop it to 7.2 yesterday, and it's already back to 7.5, so I'll just keep dropping it to 7.2 until the TA is significantly lower. The Spa spillover seems to aerate the water enough to gradually rise the PH anyway.
You need to switch your terms: your PH is 7.6, etc. and your TA is in the 160 range :lol: .

The TA being high (160?) is one of the reasons for the rapid PH swings. Read the article on "Water Balance for SWG's" [color=#0040FF]http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator[/color].
The SWG in general will cause PH increases (see Pool School for the explanation again), but those increases can be kept to a minimal level by getting your TA in line... Think of TA as the "stabilizer" for the PH. Higher TA (above about 80) means that the PH swing will happen faster and will rise higher, which in turn leads to more acid use.

Just a thought...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.