Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New memeber with a question or two

1. Back To Top    #1

New memeber with a question or two

Hi all, newby here and newby to pools. We have a salt water approx 9000 gal. It has solar heat. We live in SW fl, punta gorda area.

I've attached a pic of my main prob, (the water tests fine per pool company)...the one valve on the right in the pic is frozen, I think its the return side. I can open the one on the left, and you can hear water rush through PVC. The main solar valve in the bottom section is selected to off or close, but the water is will still rush through when I moved the valve to the left. I can live with that and it is prob normal, however the valve on the right is frozen. I can't turn it no matter what. You can see one of the dog ears have been broken off as well in an attempt to move it.

I was wondering if I cut out the area and install a new valve, no prob but will water come gushing out? I am not sure if there is water on the bottom of the valve waiting to be opened. I know its spring and won't need to solar soon anyways, but the inspector missed this thing on the home inspection.

The other thing is water....we are in an enclosed screen lanai, but I guess those little bugs still get in...I keep skimming the top but I guess that is something we have to live with? The house was empty for 2 months, but did have pump on, but nobody skimmed the surface with a net. Just wondering.

Great forum, and hope to learn much here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New memeber with a question or two

My assumption is those red valves feed the solar. Show us a better picture of your whole system, particularly the pipe going into the pump. I would like to see if you have a check valve in that pipe.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Moving the Jandy valve on the ground so that handle points toward the camera will route water to the pipe on the right and up to solar. The left pipe is returning from solar. Those red handled ball valves always freeze up after a couple of years. It is best to use Jandy or Pentair never lube style valves.

As Duraleigh mentions check valves are required for solar plumbing and it doesn't look like yours has them from the pics you posted.

There are pics of my solar plumbing and check valves in my build thread, link in sig below. The left pipe goes up to solar and the right pipe is returning from solar.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Jetdoc, for your bug issue, yes, they can be a nuisance. Good water movement towards the skimmer and/or manual skimming of the surface is about all you can do. You may also want to try a "skimmer sock" in your poolside skimmer. Basically it's a fine netting material like an old knee-high nylon, paint strainer net, etc that we place in the skimmer basket. It catches many of those small pesky buggers that would otherwise slip right through the basket and get to the main filter. Works well and helps lighten the load on the main filter.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies.....will take pic of whole system in a few mins....I just didn't know if there is water on the solar return and if I cut into that pipe I would have an obvious mess if so.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think I see a check valve right below the diverter.

You should get those orange handled valves replaced.

Seems a bit odd that the SWG pictured is BEFORE the solar and not after.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Is it a job I can do myself? If I've done plumbing on my home? Or does all of the PVC and such have to come from a pool place? And again, what about water blowing out of pipes?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, with some careful planning ahead, just about all the PVC required can be obtained at your local hardware store. If you decide to upgrade any of the valves as noted above, those you could get at a local pool supply store, or order on-line. If you have a question about a specific valve, let us know. Water out of the pipes? .... Maybe some residual from above, but with the valves closed and/or system turned-off during the work, you should have no problems other than some local run-off from the nearby pipes once you open the lines. In the end though, if you're still in doubt, you can always higher a professional. Of course they hit you where it hurts. $$$.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Yes, with some careful planning ahead, just about all the PVC required can be obtained at your local hardware store. If you decide to upgrade any of the valves as noted above, those you could get at a local pool supply store, or order on-line. If you have a question about a specific valve, let us know. Water out of the pipes? .... Maybe some residual from above, but with the valves closed and/or system turned-off during the work, you should have no problems other than some local run-off from the nearby pipes once you open the lines. In the end though, if you're still in doubt, you can always higher a professional. Of course they hit you where it hurts. $$$.
    Ok thanks for the help....yea figured the valves should not be from a hardware store.....