Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Want to be an owner/builder. Help?

1. Back To Top    #1

Want to be an owner/builder. Help?

I'm trying to convince my husband that this is doable, but I don't even know where to start for pool designs. There are 2 different types of pools that I like , but I would need to price out both to see which is feasible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fontana, CA, started 7/26 completed 8/31, IG pool/spa/slide/waterfall/grotto 17,000 gallons, pentair quad 100, pentair mastertemp 400,000 BTU, Intelliflo VS 3HP, Easytouch 8 w/ IC40, screenlogic 2, 2 5g color LED pool lights, 5g color LED spa light, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Want to be an owner/builder. Help?

Hello and welcome to TFP. To make sure we understand your question based on the title of your thread, are you interested in simply owning a specific type of pool (plaster, fiberglass, vinyl lined), or shape (rectangle, kidney, etc), or more curious if you and your husband can actually build any of these on your own either as a DIY or sub-contracting it out for others in your area to do? With a little more info, I'm sure our staff and/or forum members can help give you a push in the right direction.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

welcome, there are many people that do their own builds, check out some and see what you like
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Hello and welcome to TFP. To make sure we understand your question based on the title of your thread, are you interested in simply owning a specific type of pool (plaster, fiberglass, vinyl lined), or shape (rectangle, kidney, etc), or more curious if you and your husband can actually build any of these on your own either as a DIY or sub-contracting it out for others in your area to do? With a little more info, I'm sure our staff and/or forum members can help give you a push in the right direction.
    My husband and I are looking to be our own GC. The dilemma is I love the pools with the rock waterfall and slide, but if that is over our budget I'm willing to settle for a pool and jacuzzi. So I'm trying to see if there is free software out there for design? Once I have the designs, do I bid both pools out to see the prices?
    Fontana, CA, started 7/26 completed 8/31, IG pool/spa/slide/waterfall/grotto 17,000 gallons, pentair quad 100, pentair mastertemp 400,000 BTU, Intelliflo VS 3HP, Easytouch 8 w/ IC40, screenlogic 2, 2 5g color LED pool lights, 5g color LED spa light, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

You could try downloading the free trial version of Pool Studio.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bcampbell View Post
    My husband and I are looking to be our own GC. The dilemma is I love the pools with the rock waterfall and slide, but if that is over our budget I'm willing to settle for a pool and jacuzzi. So I'm trying to see if there is free software out there for design? Once I have the designs, do I bid both pools out to see the prices?
    In my experience with O/B most subs won't quote you unless you have plans and sub contractor notes. Even then some e.g. plaster and shotcrete won't give you a quote until your project is excavated and in plasters case shot. Honestly, you're in a bit of a pickle pricing O/B on two different style pools without any plans. I'd try to find locals who either did O/B or maybe had a pool company build theirs and use that for a starting point. You could also get bids from local pool companies and then plan on it costing you a % of what a pool company would build it for.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)