Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool filter help

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool filter help

Ok guys I need help. I have had this pool this being the 3rd season. 1st season the pool went great. No algae stayed clean and well it was great. 2nd season was where it got bad. mid season the pool kept getting green. All the chemistry was fine but it just kept doing it no mater what I did. The only thing I could do is when it got real bad just drain clean and refill. This way is costing me an arm and a leg and I am running out of limbs to give up. This season I went to a pool store and talked to them all to find out when I bought the pool I didnt put the proper amount of Zeo sand in. The seller of the pool told me that I just needed enough Zeo Sand to fill half the filter up. With that being said I have yet to open the pool back up because I have to drain it and do a deep clean on it. Then get new sand to fill the filter back up.

With this being said here comes the questions.

1st What kind of acid should I use to do a deep clean on the vinyl liner?

2nd I just bought a Quad D.E filter so can I use this filter behind the other or can I only use one filter at a time?(My way of thinking on this is to Use regular pool sand in the sand filter to pull out the microns down to 10 and with the Quad D.E. pulling the rest out and make it cleaner.)

Please help.
    I have a 21' above ground pool (11,700 GAL) with a Zanzibar 54" unibead liner. I am running a Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST with a Sta-Rite Crystal-Flo IIhigh rate sand filter with a Hayward AquarRite 900 SCG and a Pentair Rainbow 320 automatic chlorine in-line feeder(for winter)I am running everything off a Pentair Easttouch 8 control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool filter help

You have a chemistry problem not a filter problem.

What are you using as a sanitizer? Trichlor pucks?

Read this:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I also strongly suggest you buy one of the recommended test kits either the K2006 or the TF 100 and you start testing your water yourself.

A DE filter will not solve your problem. Your water has insufficient active chlorine.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Only one filter is needed, either one is fine. Algae is not cured by filtering it is cured by proper water chemistry. How do you chlorinate your pool? If you are using trichlor pucks then the most likely reason you got algae was high CYA/stabilizer and lack of chlorine to compensate for the high CYA.

Have a read here and come back with questions, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Chris,

The best help I can give you is to "Stay Out of the Pool Store". Their job is to sell you stuff and they appear to be pretty good at it.

Honestly, the first thing I did after reading your post was to double check to make sure it was not posted on April 1st..

It is impossible for the "chemistry to be fine" and still get a green pool. I'd hold off installing the new filter, as you way want to return it.

If you follow the advice that you will get here, these guys will soon get you back on track.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

I have no experience with vinyl pools, so I can't help with that much. However, muriatic acid will only work if the problem is Calcium scale. That will be like home-grown sandpaper. If the stains are blotchy they may be metal. If you're filling from a well or if the pool store sold you a mineral system (poolfrog, Nature2) then that's a possibility. Ascorbic acid cleans that. If the stains are organic then time and proper chlorine levels will remove them.

This scenario I wrote up a couple years ago may help you understand why you got algae.

We'll take a 16000 gallon pool, because that's what I have. On a fresh fill, prominent national pool chain recommends 2.5 pounds pf stabilizer per 10,000 gallons, which works out nicely to 4 pounds which brings CYA to 30.

With an average loss of 2 PPM/Day or 14 ppm/week, I'll have added 8.6 PPM/CYA if I used trichlor pucks perfectly. And they recommend a weekly "shock" of dichlor between 5 and 10 FC.... 2-3 oz per 10,000 gallons. Split the difference; I'll add 4 oz. CYA went up another .9.

So..by the end of week one, I have added 9.5 more CYA. It is now 39.5. Mimimum FC for that is 3, so I'm probably okay.

Week two, up to 49 CYA.
    Week three, 58.5. Minimum FC should be 5, but they recommend 3 as ideal, so the pool looks a bit hazy. So I'll toss in a little extra dichlor "shock" to jack FC up to 10. Which adds another 6.4 CYA. Keeping count? We're up to 64.9 now.

That caught the algae just in time.. we had two weeks of good luck. A steady diet of pucks and 4 oz. "shock" each week only added another 19, up to 73.9 now.

Week 6 it started looking funky, so we "shocked"it once again. CYA is up to 99.3. But minimum FC to keep algae at bay is 8, and we're still holding things to 3, because prominent national chain's preprinted sheet shows that as ideal. So algae got a toehold and the pool has a bit of a tint. So we throw two whole bags of dichlor in which jacks it another 7.6 by the time week 7 is over, we're at 116.4, because we had pucks in the floater the whole time.

So...in 7 weeks, from 30 to 116.4. Let's say there are no more algae outbreaks because they sold me a huge bucket of phos-free and another of yellow-out monopersulfate "shock" Nothing but the pucks and the extra 4 oz of dichlor "shock" weekly. So the next 7 weeks added 66.5, which brings the total to 182.9 CYA.

Now if we didn't understand this and things looked a bit hazy, we might throw an extra puck or two in the floater every couple weeks, which will drive it over 200 easily.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

ok so what yall are saying is that even though I only had the filter filled halfway with sand that will still not cause the water to not get cleaned.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I am using tabs with 2 floating puck holders that I keep full. The chlorine levels stay a little high yes but that is why Im confused as to why I am growing so much algae in the pool. With that much chlorine im not understanding why the algae.
    I have a 21' above ground pool (11,700 GAL) with a Zanzibar 54" unibead liner. I am running a Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST with a Sta-Rite Crystal-Flo IIhigh rate sand filter with a Hayward AquarRite 900 SCG and a Pentair Rainbow 320 automatic chlorine in-line feeder(for winter)I am running everything off a Pentair Easttouch 8 control system.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

ok so what yall are saying is that even though I only had the filter filled halfway with sand that will still not cause the water to not get cleaned.
    Not really. Regardless of the sand level, a filter will not filter live algae from a pool. You have a chemistry problem......not filtration.
    With that much chlorine im not understanding why the algae.
    How much chlorine do you have?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I kept the chlorine level at around 5 to 6

9. Back To Top    #9

You are correct............it is NOT a filter problem. It IS a water balance issue as in there is not enough Free Chlorine (FC), maybe to much CYA (stabilizer), PH and TA may also be off.

If you get your own test kit we will be able to help you get your water balanced AND looking like a jewel. It will be cheaper in the long run as well!

Look in my siggy for the test kit I think is the best bang for the buck.

Kim

Just saw that you have two floaters full of tablets............I am willing to bet your CYA is sky high. The higher the CYA the more FC you will need. After a while you will not be able to put enough FC in due to the CYA being so high.
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Chlorine level is set based on your CYA level and this chart, Chlorine CYA Chart. My CYA is 70 right now and I keep my FC at 8-9 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

see my home test kit only has fc, ph, alk, and stabilizer,

i do remember the last time i checked everything before i closed it for the winter I was ph 6.8 fc 5.5 alk 80 and sta 65. these numbers were aprox due to me having a cheap digital test kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ahaa, you need a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

ok guys i have redone my pool. drained cleaned and put a new filter on the pool. When I got it filled the pool filled I went ahead and tested the water. The results are as follows.
    TC 0
    FC 0
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 120
    CH 40
    CYA -30 (My tube only goes up to 30 and the dot was still there all the way up to the top)

After I Dumped shock in and cranked my chlorine up to 5 and ran the pool for 3 hrs I checked it again. It now reads as follows.
    TC 5( my test only goes up to 5)
    FC 5
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 120
    CH 30
    CYA -30(same reason)

Please I need help.
    Last edited by chrismachowski02; 04-24-2016 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added more Info.

14. Back To Top    #14

What do you need help with? How does your water look?

What color is your chlorine test? Yellow? That is OTO and as the shades get more yellow it indicates higher chlorine level, like tweety bird yellow, school bus yellow, light orange, orange julius.

CYA, is the water clear or cloudy? Clear is 0 and cloudy is 10-20.

PH is OK, just lower it to 7.6 when it gets above 7.8

TA is OK

CH is not important in a vinyl pool as long as it is below 500ish

Read here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Water is cloudy enough I cant see the bottom of the pool but the CYA is not indicating that. the chlorine test is pink. very light to almost no pink for 0 and dark pink for 5. I tested the water again today and the pool is still cloudy.

TC 5
    FC 5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 90
    CH 30

I didnt test the CYA because of the last results indicate that the Cya if great.

16. Back To Top    #16

Cloudy pool water is rarely (never) a filter problem. It is nearly always a water chemistry problem. If your water is cloudy then you most likely need to follow this process, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You will need an FAS/DPD chlorine test like this one, FAS-DPD test TFTestkits.net

You can Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to verify if a SLAM is needed. But, again you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test for precise chlorine measurement.
    TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Cloudy pool water is rarely (never) a filter problem. It is nearly always a water chemistry problem. If your water is cloudy then you most likely need to follow this process, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    I know its not a filter problem seeing that this is a brand new fresh filter.

You will need an FAS/DPD chlorine test like this one, FAS-DPD test TFTestkits.net
    I have a fas-dpd test kit.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by chrismachowski02 View Post
    I have a fas-dpd test kit.
    Good, then you can tell us what your FC level is exactly and what your CC level is. How many drops does it take to clear the sample?
    TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Good, then you can tell us what your FC level is exactly and what your CC level is. How many drops does it take to clear the sample?
    The test kit does not have me do that but it does say fas-dpd on the box.

20. Back To Top    #20

OK so I was wrong. It is just a DPD kit. I picked up the wrong one. I will be getting a fas DPD chlorine only kit Friday.