Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hot tub went from blue to green in 30 minutes - could it be icing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hot tub went from blue to green in 30 minutes - could it be icing?

Hi,

Just had a birthday party for my 7 year old. We had about a dozen 7-year-olds in and out of the hot tub and between the hot tub and the pool for the last 2 hours.

I changed the water in the tub 2 weeks ago and installed a new filter at that time. Started off with Brom Bank that I shocked appropriately. Since then the bromine level has been kept up in the 6-10 region by floater with bromine tabs. I balanced everything this morning and cleaned the filter
    - Bromine about 10 (in anticipation of bather load),
    - Combined Bromine about 4 (not sure why),
    - TA 70,
    - CH was 50, but I added enough calcium to take it to 110.
    - PH 7.5,
    - borates about 20.
    After about 90 minutes of kids in the hot tub, I tested the bromine and it was down to about 1, so I kicked all the kids out and added 1/3 cup of 10% chlorinating liquid. After that, I noticed the hot tub take on a green hue. I hit it with some more chlorinating liquid, and it just got worse.

I'm thinking one of the kids had some icing on them and that it's icing that is dyeing the water green.

Any other reasonable explanation?

Thanks,

Marc
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hot tub went from blue to green in 30 minutes - could it be icing?

Is this a clear green or cloudy green?

Have you used any mineral system or algaecide in the tub?

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

That would have to be a whole lot of icing to turn the water green. Did any of the products you use have copper in them?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you on city water or well water? Have you had your water tested for metals?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

@Donaldson, it's a clear green. No mineral system nor algaecide - just bromine bank (to start), bromine tabs, bleach (to oxidize), dry acid, baking soda, and borax.

@zea3, I haven't added any copper, but I don't think any of the kids would have had any on them. There was a LOT of food coloring in the icing...

@gwegan, City water. Haven't had it tested but I haven't had the problem before.

Thanks all!
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I don't think there's any chance 500+ gallons of water takes on that noticeable a color change from someone transferring in some cake icing with food color.
    Any chance one of the kids had a brand new green swim suit ?? If it was never washed and cheaply dyed it might be able to bleed off enough color in the hot chlorinated water.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, I dumped so much bleach in it that the OTO test in my TF-100 was orange... the next morning the green hue was gone. So whatever it was, I guess I got it...

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by marcgr View Post
    Well, I dumped so much bleach in it that the OTO test in my TF-100 was orange... the next morning the green hue was gone. So whatever it was, I guess I got it...
    That's the way to do it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

'70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!