Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Impervious Cover in Austin - How Important Is It?

1. Back To Top    #1

Impervious Cover in Austin - How Important Is It?

First time poster, looking into building a pool in Austin Texas. Met with 2 pool companies so far. 1st said that they would build pool, get final survey, then come back and add decking, which would put us over the impervious cover limit. Salesman stated that once the final permit is checked, that "no-one ever looks at that again". I don't want to be in a situation where I build a pool and a nice deck, and then if and when i go to sell the home, I have to tear up my driveway, sidewalk, or pool to meet code. Does anyone know if what he said is true? Once permit is given, you can go in and add what you want and not worry? I think i know what the answer is, I'm just hoping he is right.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Impervious Cover in Austin - How Important Is It?

Well, I'm no expert in city plans and permit approvals, but that would seem odd to me as well. I think your gut is right, but maybe another local will chime-in. In the meantime ..... I wanted to welcome you to TFP! Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you talking about a city ordinance that is meant to prevent someone from laying concrete over their entire back yard? If so, this might not apply since you are adding a pool? In any case, your first stop should be with the City Building Inspector's office to get the facts and to see if a variance is possible. In my case I was prevented by city ordnance from building within a certain distance from my fence. I applied and was granted a variance.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Install permeable pavers?

5. Back To Top    #5

That's really strange! We talked to lots of pool builders and they all wanted a site map so they could make sure not to go over impervious cover limits. If anyone is trying to "get around the rules" I'd probably go with someone else. Just my opinion...
    Just getting started! Inground freeform gunite pool, 17x32, 3.5-5ft depth, SWCG, French Grey mini pebble Stonescapes, NPT Arctic Lagoon glass tile, raised wall with 3 sheers, Polaris robotic cleaner, Cartridge filter, 550 sqft concrete/Kool-dek; Dig to begin 10/2017!

6. Back To Top    #6

My advice, don't mess with City of Austin building inspectors. There are some completely reasonable ones and some ones that make you want to tear your hair out. Like, I'm walking one through the house to go look at the pool and he notices my kitchen looks newer than the house and asks me where is my permit for that... others have been like, "that looks great, just do this and you're good" when I thought they would complain a lot more. On my pool they have been by 2-3 times and they seem to have a talent of turning up when I am not at home.

Also, the impervious cover restrictions are there for a reason! Please be a good neighbor and respect them. Take a walk through some of the regentrified areas around SoCo and see what people have done there to meet the impervious cover restrictions - many have torn out their driveways and replaced the center strip with grass etc. Remember deck only counts as 50% cover (but concrete is 100% of course).

I am going out on a limb here because I don't know what happens here, but what if you build an unpermitted deck and then your neighbor's property floods, are you liable?

Marc
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.