Building new pool down south

Apr 8, 2016
Sarasota, FL
Greetings all:

I am a new TFP member, having only recently discovered this great resource following our recent move to Sarasota, FL from Atlanta. In Atlanta, we have a fairly large pool (~50" x 20' with an average depth of 6' or so; I believe it was about 40K gallons). We heated this pool with a gas-heater which worked quite well, although it took a bit of time to get such a large volume of water up to temp in the early spring. We always closed our pool around October, primarily due to falling leaves, although by November it was usually too cold out to swim.

We are building a new home in Sarasota, which is obviously a much warmer environment. Given the price and availability of lots, our new home will only allow construction of a smaller pool, 25' x 13' with an average depth of 5' which I think is just over 12K gallons. We like the idea of a gas heater which I think is cheaper and will more rapidly heat the pool. However, we now find ourselves contemplating the other end of the season. We wonder if we will likely encounter excessive temps in our to-be-built pool and if so, how best to deal with this issue, especially since we wish to continue primarily using the pool for lap swimming. I have done some preliminary research and it seems that a heat pump is a realistic option, albeit with a much higher initial cost and much slower heating time. In my research, I have discovered a possible alternative, i.e. a pool chiller (Glacier) and wonder about combining such a unit with a gas heater. I suspect that there may be other alternatives as well.

We would welcome any thoughts from those with expertise owning or building pools in similar climates.

Many thanks

Aaron

Welcome to TFP :)

in Florida, You may like the heat pump much better, yes it will take a little longer to heat up but it is designed to keep a constant 2 to 4 degree temp differance. the nice thing is you can set it at 85 degrees and it will heat or cool.. it will work way better and more effieciant in your area than someone having one up north :)

HI almost neighbor! I love having a pool in FL! We do not heat it and it does get too cold to swim in over the winter :(. Maybe one day we will but not anytime soon.

We use a "waterfall" to help cool the water BUT I tend to like it warmer so sometimes "forget" to hook it up LOL.

New Grecian 3 Tier Floating Aboveground or Inground Swimming Pool Fountain | eBay

Just know anything like this will push the PH up. Not a problem so long as you test and treat with muratic acid.

Kim

Keep in mind that even sometimes you will get cooler weather during the winter months in Sarasota and that would require the a electric heater to work harder to heat the pool. Also, use a solar cover on the pool during the cool nights to keep the heat in. Natural gas is pretty cheap now in our area and you surely get full BTUs when you heat with gas. Also with gas, you could shut it down for a week or more and then when you want to heat and it's cold out, you can heat fairly quick.

Thanks everyone for their input which is most helpful.

Paul: Your reply suggested that the heat pumps will automatically switch between heating and cooling modes automatically. Is that correct, or does one have to manual change the mode based on the time of the year?

Aaron

Thanks. I am intrigued that no one has commented upon use of a chiller such as the Glacier units, in conjunction with a gas heater for the winter. Does anyone have experience with such equipment? I certainly appreciate all of the input.

Aaron

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since we haven't discussed it yet, I would suggest you consider solar. Beyond the obvious heating benefit and zero cost of operation, solar also has the benefit of being able to cool water by running through the tubes after the sun is down, when your roof temperatures are lower than the water temp. For SRQ, this would be my very first suggestion and it is extremely common in your town.

Since we haven't discussed it yet, I would suggest you consider solar. Beyond the obvious heating benefit and zero cost of operation, solar also has the benefit of being able to cool water by running through the tubes after the sun is down, when your roof temperatures are lower than the water temp. For SRQ, this would be my very first suggestion and it is extremely common in your town.

Solar does little to heat the water during the cooler winter months. They are just as inefficient as a heat pump is during those cooler months.

I had no idea about these so I started looking at them... they say it is cheaper but it really depends on your area, because...
HOW DOES IT WORK? - Glacier Pool Coolers | The Global Leader in Swimming Pool Cooling Systems

It is using dehumidification ( I think, I get them confused all the time) to work, as the air is pulled through the water energy is pulled out and the water is cooled. I see 2 things with this.

1. florida has very high humidity 70 to 100%, so trying to put more humid air is probably not as effieciant as someone up north 30 to 50% humidity using one.
2. how much water is being used to make this work, they do not say, but if someone can lose 100 gallons over night i can imagine you losing at least that during a day.

Florida here. HOA board here. Solar here. Long story short, state law in Florida forbids any HOA from preventing solar (both pool solar heating and PV). Your HOA must permit it.

I don't agree about solar being ineffective in "off-season" for Sarasota, which is zone 10. Provided you have a cover overnight, solar could easily maintain temps year-round and provide cooling, if needed.

OP - I would at least have a solar dealer give a bid. You might be surprised.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.