Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying again

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying again

Hello everyone. Im going to start opening my pool this week. It went all winter without a cover so its green right now. Ive taken the Nature II Mineral sanitizer off and replaced with the Hasa pool liquidator. Ive also purchashed a Aquabot pool rover S2-40i to help with cleaning.

To start, should I replace the sand in my filter? The current sand has went through about 3 seasons.
    I know there is debris on the bottom of the pool(leaves), should I vacuum these out before putting more water in pool(I drained pool before last winter just down to the bottom of the skimmer)? Thanks for any help yall give.
    27' AG Vogue pool with vinyl liner and metal shell 18,500 gallons 4 ft deep
    1.5 hp Pentair pump
    Pentair Sand Dollar High Rate Sand Filter
    Hasa pool liquidator with 3/8" upgrade
    TF 100 test kit w/ Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying again

The sand in your filter was a million years old when it went in. A couple years inside the filter didn't wear it out. Leave it alone. Perhaps after you're finished with the initial cleanup and the water is clear you can try Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

The more organic debris you can remove from the pool, the faster it will clear. I'd start with a leaf rake so you don't clog up the plumbing with a wad of waterlogged compost. Then vacuum to waste if you can get the vacuum to work with the low water level. Sometimes the pump won't prime. Some people have had success doing a siphon vacuum. Set the vacuum head on the floor, carefully feed the hose in so all the air is pushed out, then cap the end with your hand and haul it out and over the side as fast as you can so it starts siphoning. Then vacuum.

Once the big stuff is out, fill it up, get the water circulating, and when it's all mixed, test everything and get ready to SLAM. You could sneak some bleach in while you're filling and mixing, but don't go above 10 FC or you won't get an accurate pH reading. On second thought, you might want to test the CYA level before you start refilling because at least some of the Nature2 systems also use trichlor in the tab feeder. If it's way high, you might want to lose a little more water before refilling.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good job switching over to the liquidator! That is going to be nice! Have fun scooping leaves!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, you can find some battery operated leaf rakes that attach to a regular pole and have a propeller which sucks all the leaves in a big bag. My pool had a whole fall season worth of leaves in it and I was able to get them all out in around a half hour. They are a little spendy, mine was $100 but with the amount of trees within fall range of my pool, if it lasts me a couple years I will think it is well worth the money.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by censored View Post
    If you don't mind spending a few bucks, you can find some battery operated leaf rakes that attach to a regular pole and have a propeller which sucks all the leaves in a big bag. My pool had a whole fall season worth of leaves in it and I was able to get them all out in around a half hour. They are a little spendy, mine was $100 but with the amount of trees within fall range of my pool, if it lasts me a couple years I will think it is well worth the money.
    Can you help us find a link to this product?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

https://www.pinchapenny.com/product/...attery-powered

http://www.lesliespool.com/water-tec...aner/58038.htm

**I haven't used either of those. This is only what I found through a google search.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Interesting. I would question it's ability to handle a heavy load. Looks like leaves may get hung up in the propeller (Thanks, northrn)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Make one with a sealed rechargeable battery and I'm in!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!