Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Super chlorinating when opening this year

1. Back To Top    #1

Super chlorinating when opening this year

Ive read through the sticky on opening the pool (very helpful information, thank you). Since its my first opening and first time using the t 100 test kit should I be testing the CYA levels prior to super chlorinating/ shocking the pool. I pulled the cover back yesterday and circulated the water adding some pool shock and raised the ph due to the amount of rain we have gotten.
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Super chlorinating when opening this year

Yes, you need to test the CYA, that is what you will be using to set your FC level
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Andrew, something else you might want to consider is posting a pull set of the most current test results. Sometimes we get a little nervous when someone mentions they "shocked the pool and increased pH". pH is usually something we need to bring down in most pools, and shocking ... well .... as Casey said we manage FC based on your current CYA level. They go together.

So if you need additional help, or would like to post all the test results, feel free to do so and we'll give you a 2nd opinion. Have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice job on having the best test kit! Well done!

You should test all of your levels before you do anything with the water. If you have any questions once you do your test share your numbers here and we can help you out.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the replies,very helpful. My liquid shock addition was just to raise the fc levels a little bit to hold the pool over till opening. Temps are in the 40_50 range with cold over night temps. Probably two weeks till opening. I will have full tests results when the cover comes off. Last year I was using chlorine packs and had to raise ph through out the summer especially after heavy rains. This year no more packs just bleach/ liquid shock. Look forward to the changes. Thanks for all the help.
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like a good plan! I will be on the look out for your numbers!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit