Any use for Diverter when main drain is plumbed separately?

Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Hi all, I finished my build about 6 months ago, and have been using a diverter under the skimmer basket. My question is, do I need it at all. I plumbed the main drain separately from the skimmer, and I think that the only reason to have a diverter is to protect from air coming into the pump if the the water level goes too low. But because the main drain is plumbed separately, I don't think that the diverter is necessary, and is really only functioning to cause less suction pull from the skimmer, I think. Can I just toss the diverter, or would doing so be foolish for some reason?

You hit the reason they are installed, if your water level were to fall below the skimmer it would close and allow the pump to continue to work by pulling from the main drain..

It could also be a problem if you only have the water coming from the skimmer and the main drain closed, it would do the exact thing it is trying to prevent by stopping all water coming to your pump..

correct, you should probably remove the diverter it's only useful if the main drain is connected to the skimmer. If it were me I would always have the main drain at least partly open. That way if the skimmer gets blocked either by debris or a plastic bag you have an alternate source of water for the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.