Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: auto cover rope life.

1. Back To Top    #1

auto cover rope life.

So I love my autocover but at times it sucks. When i closed it today one of the ropes broke. I think this is the 4th time in 5 years, at least the third. Everything I read seems to indicate that this is abnormal, the cover is a "coverpools". I called and complained but I doubt that will help, then my GF called too and she isn't as nice as me. How are other peoples ropes holding out?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: auto cover rope life.

I'm going into the 4th year and never have had a problem with the ropes.

:::tosses a little salt around to protect self from malocchio since mentioning condition of ropes:::
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I would begin to think that something is not quite right. Ropes should last at least half the life of the cover material. There are several factors that could cause ropes to wear and break.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm going to get into it more today, I did see mentioned on the web site that the "super rope" should last up to 100000 cycles, at the most mine lasted 400. It seems the cover will nearly always not quite close square, maybee off by 2", but the next cycle it may be fine. I've had them out at least once a year to adjust the cover.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I have a Coverstar as opposed to Coverpool. My ropes are hanging in there after three years, though some pulleys did go bad. I was surprised that didn't cause the ropes to break. I remember reading about advancements in ropes recently. However I agree with above that something seems askew (pardon the out of square pun). Mine easily gets off kilter a bit too and I sometimes call or live with it. It is not cheap or "Trouble free" but I really enjoy having it.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!