Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Padded cove

1. Back To Top    #1

Padded cove

I just put a down payment on an 18'x54". The pool store sells all the padding for walls floor and cove...so does amazon for allot less. Are there any differences between brands for the cove? Store wants over $130 and amazon is less then half

Currently a big sand box with no pool, 18"x54 on order
    Hayward EC40 filter with Hayward 1HP pump, Wanda the Whale
    SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Padded cove

Why not ask the pool store what makes theirs worth twice as much. I'm guessing foam is foam is foam.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

But Leslie's foam is better. !!!!!!
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

you could ask the pool store what brand do they use, that might give you an insight to the difference if any ...
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

5. Back To Top    #5

i will email them tomorrow and find out. The coves on amazon say they have a height anywhere from 2" to 4" is that about standard? on a 54" pool that leaves my top 2" unpadded with a 48" wall padding which will be under the top rail and not have water against it anyways
    SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

You don't need wall padding. I'd do the floor n coves.

Where are you located? Please add it to your profile. If you ever need assistance, you'll be asked again.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd definitely skip any wall padding.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

I realize the pool store will charge more but, rather than just cove height to consider, is the density different? Would one be more durable than the other?
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

9. Back To Top    #9

Why are you recommending against wall foam? Just curious - my pool gets delivered today and I am getting ready to order the cove, and maybe wall foam depending on the answer

10. Back To Top    #10

I think most wall foam you have to use spray adhesive to hold it. I just went with foam cove and floor also. The foam is only 1/4 inch think so I can't see much insulation benifit, maybe R2 or less.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

11. Back To Top    #11

I just ordered mine yesterday, but the sales person at Leslie's told me I didn't really need the wall pad. I didn't ask why.... I did order their cove and floor pad which he did recommend.
    Round 18' Sharkline pool, 8600 gallons of well water. Hayward 40gpm single speed pump and DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by comic75 View Post
    Why are you recommending against wall foam? Just curious - my pool gets delivered today and I am getting ready to order the cove, and maybe wall foam depending on the answer
    I am wondering the same thing. my buddy has it in his and the walls are much softer. Personal preference maybe

SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

Amazon has blue wave and gladon cove. Both listings have literally the same pics up. Does anyone know if it's the same stuff?

SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

The heat is lost through the top of the pool. The wall foam will not help with heat retention. It can make the walls softer feeling but......I don't feel my walls that often so it is better to spend my money else where.

Make sure to go ahead and plan of hard plumbing your equipment. Use unions on everything for ease of maintenance. Think..if I have to take the top off of the filter, work on the pump, etc and put the unions there. Valves need to be placed every where the water comes out of the pool.

I also put about 3 inches of rock in the area under the skimmer and return area. I put pavers on top of that. I sloped it such that WHEN the skimmer overflows it will not wash out the pool bottom.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    The heat is lost through the top of the pool. The wall foam will not help with heat retention. It can make the walls softer feeling but......I don't feel my walls that often so it is better to spend my money else where.

Make sure to go ahead and plan of hard plumbing your equipment. Use unions on everything for ease of maintenance. Think..if I have to take the top off of the filter, work on the pump, etc and put the unions there. Valves need to be placed every where the water comes out of the pool.

I also put about 3 inches of rock in the area under the skimmer and return area. I put pavers on top of that. I sloped it such that WHEN the skimmer overflows it will not wash out the pool bottom.

Kim
    For an 18' round padding is only 50 bucks, truck will be on it way with gravel and river rock for around the pool. coming from an intex i know all too well about what water flowing over the skimmer can do. Luckily my ground is mainly sand and drains quickley. The area under my skimmer will be all rock as well as half the back pool and then under my deck, only a small portion will meet grass but will still have rock around it and 2b gravel under that for drainage.
    SWG

16. Back To Top    #16

I like that you already have a plan! Good job!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit