Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin Nautilus Plus vs Triton

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin Nautilus Plus vs Triton

trying to stay around $700 but I see the Triton would be about $100 over that price point. This will be our first pool and I'm definitely don't want to have to manually clean the pool down here in Texas in June/July/August. I think I've got the main differences between the Nautilus Plus and the Triton as being the Triton can clean the waterline tile, has another shorter cleaning mode and comes with a caddy and a decent remote. Both are top-loading and use filters.

If I were to add the caddy to the Nautilus Plus the Triton would be just around $40-$50 more than the NP so I guess it comes down to how useful/handy the caddy truly is. If it's handy to have, I suppose I'm better off with the Triton over the Nautilus Plus then? Do I have the basic differences between the two stated correctly? Seems I can't go wrong with either one and it seems like both will be a nice fit for my pool (sport/play pool, 34x23 or so, lots of benches and a above average tanning ledge)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin Nautilus Plus vs Triton

Darin,

My robot came with a remote.. I used it once, the day it came. It works great, but I really have not found a use for it.. Throw the robot in the pool, it cleans the whole thing, and you are done...

You really do want a cleaner that scrubs the tile line. To me it just makes sense for the cleaner to do the whole pool, including the water line. Other than the stairs and the seats, I don't brush anything.

Jim R
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm just going to say caddys are VERY handy
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 on the caddy being very handy. The robot is fairly heavy out of the water. I store my robot (Triton Plus) in the garage between uses so the caddy provides a convenient means of transport. The caddy also provides a convenient place to store the cable, power supply and remote. As far as the remote goes, I use it to park the robot on the stairs when it is done cleaning which makes it very easy to get out of the water. I do not like to pull on the power cable to extract the robot from the pool, and I have a bad back so when parked on the stairs it is much easier for me to extract the robot.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the Triton Plus (actually rebranded in typical Dolphin fashion as Oasis Z-5) and I would gladly pay the extra $100 for the caddy and climbing all the way to the tiles. My family loves to watch the thing climb, and no brushing needed, except for the steps and benches. It actually gets to all but the highest step, but if I go to the trouble of fetching the brush, I go ahead and brush them all. The robot is a bit unwieldy out of water. The caddy helps a lot. Even on the caddy, is is not terribly easy to lift over the door jamb leading to my garage. Overall, its my little buddy.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

6. Back To Top    #6

so it looks like the caddy is a given then. triton vs triton plus comes down to the 2 cleaning cycle options on the plus, added remote control, top-loading filters and the ability to schedule cleanings (not sure how much I'd use this particular feature).

7. Back To Top    #7

All marketing fluff, EXCEPT for the top loading filters, as far as I am concerned. I recommend the top loaders. I can imagine flipping the robot over would be an inconvenience... but bottom loader Triton is probably still way better than the pressure-side Racer my PB supplied. Bottom filter access is inconvenient for me personally, but not a show stopper. And maybe not an issue for most. Remote control, cleaning cycle option, and scheduling seem irrelevant to me. The thing cleans good, and that is what's important. All the rest are add-ons that you may not use.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

8. Back To Top    #8

Well there is one more difference, it appears the triton plus has dual track drive and the triton has single track. Best to first let others report on whether single drive gets stuck on drains. I know mine does not seem to have that problem.

9. Back To Top    #9

I know the online comparison on the maytronics website shows that the Nautilus-Plus doesn't clean waterline tile but I've seen a couple of references around here that says it can.. anyone got the definitive, real-world answer?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by darin.brown View Post
    I know the online comparison on the maytronics website shows that the Nautilus-Plus doesn't clean waterline tile but I've seen a couple of references around here that says it can.. anyone got the definitive, real-world answer?
    I have a nautilus+ and it does climb the wall and scrub around the water line. I have never seen a triton in action so I can't say whether the cleaning is substantially different. If I get a chance tomorrow I can try to make a video and catch the waterline cleaning in action.
    IG plaster pools built in 1985 (?): 16k(?) gallons lap pool (62'x8') connected by a spillover to 17k(?) gallons squarish pool (22.5'x18'). DE filters Pentair NS-48(x2), polaris 280 (non-functioning). Inline chlorinator [removed!] -> Circupool Si60 SWCG [Newly self installed March 2016!]. Recently acquired dolphin nautilus+ [Summer 2015]. Still figuring out what else I have and how things work.

11. Back To Top    #11

The Triton Plus has two drive motors, and can do a true 90 degree turn which helps it in tight spots. My pool is Grecian style with some weird shaped surfaces and the Triton Plus always does 100 % coverage.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

12. Back To Top    #12

A video would be awesome : )

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a nautilus plus also and can second that it does climb the walls and clean the waterline tile.
    Rectangular pool 28x16 and spa 8x7, 17,000 gallons, IG, Tropics Blue Mini-Pebble, Jandy 60 DE filter, saltwater cell, Jandy VS pump, 1.5 hp Jandy spa pump, 400k heater, 5' Sheer Descent with 1 hp Jandy pump, Jandy color LED lights. Build Thread