Far West Houston Pool Build

Mar 19, 2016
Houston, TX
We are at the bidding stage of our pool building journey. We originally wanted a lap pool, but our yard isn't big enough (14ft easement) :( . So we've decided to build a smaller pool (either 28 x 15 or 30 x 15) and include a current system, like a RiverFlow or Endless Pool Fastlane. For a design, we're interested in a pool with a geometric design.

Use: We don't have kids, but my elderly dad does live with me. My husband and I participate in triathlon and my husband swims a lot. He's doing a 3k swim in two weeks. My dog, a Chesapeake bay Retriever, also swims. So we want something simple, but functional. But we didn't want to go with just a swim spa.

We have three bids so far and our planning to get another tomorrow afternoon. Our main sticking point right now is that we can't seem to get a demo of the RiverFlow system. We are planning to demo the Endless pool this weekend.

Bids without the riverflow system range from 43k to 58k. The Riverflow adds about 20k to each bid. One builder offered to put it in for 14500. Tempting! So adding the RiverFlow will be a third of our cost! You can see why we are eager to test it out.

I've attached one of the designs we were given. I'm really not sure about the elevated wall. I had initially wanted a more streamlined approach. This design is for the 58K pool. (With riverflow, it would be 78k)
ew2fyNS.jpg

I really like your design! When we were trying to finalize our design, a couple of the builders we interviewed suggested keeping the spa close to the house for ease of use in the colder months. We ended up adding an elevated wall to our build after we signed the contract, but before dig, just to add some interest. I LOVE the way it turned out!

Hello and welcome to TFP. :wave: Best thing about your project (in my opinion) is that it caters to everyone in the family - including the furry ones. :) Sounds to be a very nice project, and your listing of equipment in your sig looks quite good. Great to have you with us.

We haven't settled on equipment yet, but we will probably go with the following -
1. Filter - Pentair DE filter
2. Pump - Pentair Whisperflow 2 HP
3. Flagstone coping
4. stamped concrete deck
5. 2 led lights
6. Chlorine pool...so pentair chlorinator
7. Pentair Mastertemp heater

I have some questions -
1. Is a "return" the same as a valve?
2. Is wet edge cheaper than pebbletec?
3. Is dark plaster not recommended for the houston area?
4. What is a blower silencer?
5. Should i get an inpool cleaner and a robot?

Thanks all!

Well...

If you have a Robot, which I recommend, you do not need an in-pool cleaner. I would however have then plumb for a suction cleaner port.

I would not think a 2 HP pump would be what they would pick for a pool with a spa and water features. I would think a Variable Speed pump would be more appropriate, but I'll let the pump experts chime in..

A "return" is where the water that has gone through the filter gets returned to your pool. Generally there are 4 or 5 "returns".

You will need valves to switch between the pool operation and the spa operation. If you are spending $80K on a pool I would expect some type of automation. EasyTouch if going with Pentair

A Chlorinator is nothing but a tube to hold Chlorine tablets. If you read many of the posts here you will find they are not our first choice and the cause of most pool chemistry issues.

Jim R.

I got 1.

Return=where the water "returns" to the pool from the filter. Most of them are like an "eyeball". They can be adjusted for the best flow as needed by your pool.

valve=it will be inline on the pipe. They control the water flow by you turning the handle to on, off, or any where in between.

I will look for the build I know has a swim system. I cannot remember what brand he has but he loves it!

Kim

I can chime in on #5. I chose to have an in-floor cleaning system as part of my pool design. I am completely happy with it. If low-maintenance is on your wish list, this is something you should strongly consider. "Cleaning" my pool bottom is as simple as emptying my skimmer baskets now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have PMs to OZ and Plat asking them to pop in on this thread.

Kim

Famous PM'd me a few weeks ago and we connected about this already. I'll relay what I said at the time though to help spur the discussion.

We're doing a RiverFlow system. We also have literally zero experience with them. We chose RiverFlow based on reviews, videos and feedback we saw here on TFP. Also shakenbake installed one and liked it.

Under construction in texas - water in it finally!!

The two things that really pushed us towards RiverFlow over other systems were:

RiverFlow vs Badu and others: Badu and several others use a venturi to magnify the flow. It's not a huge deal really and I have heard from several people that are very happy with that kind of setup, but we just wanted a clear waterflow without the bubbles.

RiverFlow vs Endless Pools: I saw several conversations and reviews on the interwebs about Endless not be 100% guaranteed suitable for saltwater. If we weren't doing salt we might have gone with Endless because they do seem to be more popular.

Now a few notes in general. If your builder has not installed one before (or even if they have because I doubt they have installed many), make sure you ask them to do an engineering review with RiverFlow. There are some very specific requirements that they list on their website that should be followed. I would also call RiverFlow direct and ask to speak to someone there yourself. Make sure you understand what the parts will look like in the pool and the requirements for where they have to be placed.

Lastly, and I will elaborate more on this in my build thread once we get it sorted out, make sure since you are doing a geometric pool that when they shoot gunite that your supply and especially your return pipe/jet (since this is what you will be swimming into) are SQUARED off to the wall you are putting it on. Something happened to ours and it is currently coming out of the wall at a slight angle to one side of the pool. It was not apparent until after the protective plastic and duct tape was removed several days after gunite was shot. I would recommend checking it immediately upon gunite completion to ensure it did not shift. Our builder wasn't sure how it got shifted but ours did and will now need to be "straightened". He understands the issue this will cause and said he'll fix it without question. I assume he is going to have to chip around the 12" pipe and see if it will align and then repair/fill the gap to keep it in place. It's kind of disappointing this happened because it is such a major element of our pool (both in design and cost) but there is no choice except to make it right, so I will just take solace in that in the end it will be.

plat.

The Swim Jets I use are not a marketed 'swim jet' product.
It is a venturi style setup so it does have bubbles.
It is 3 large jets. They are the big brothers of spa jets in style.
Each is plumbed with 2-1/2" to it's own 3hp pump with independent suction side intakes on the side of the pool.
The 2 of the jets are positioned a little over shoulder width apart and 8" below the water surface.
The third is centered and 12' below water surface.
All three have their venturi air intakes plumbed together into a 1-1/5" pipe that comes out of a nearby garden bed in a shepherds hook (to stop stuff falling into it.

My pool build thread has a video of it running.
Cost about $6000 if I remember correctly; 3 x 3hp whisperflo pumps (not benefit to VS here), 3 x venturi jets, 6 x wall drains, pipework.

I've attached one of the designs we were given. I'm really not sure about the elevated wall. I had initially wanted a more streamlined approach. This design is for the 58K pool. (With riverflow, it would be 78k)
ew2fyNS.jpg

i'd ditch the wall and the descents if it was me. you can always have the spa over-spill as a descent feature.

i'd also add (as has been mentioned) more decking around the spa, perhaps access from both sides.

Having said that, as has been mentioned, you may want to consider keeping the spa on the house side of the pool. the run from spa to house in the winter months is no fun at all.

here's what we are considering, dont even have any quotes yet tho..

2h5ivm0.jpg

I think the raised spa is a substantial cost and a great visual addition. Hiding it behind a wall may not be the best bang for your buck. What if the design had the spa coming halfway into the pool ? The half inside the pool can have a great three side overflow for visual and also avoid extra decking.

i just remembered that I have a friend (in california) that retro fitted his smallish pool with one of these bad boys, I've never seen it myself but he loves it.

if you design your spa right (make it big!) you could have this thing in there for the winter, in the pool for the summer. I believe they are portable if you have the deck mounted option:
Pool Jets, Swim Jets Alternative | Compare the Fastlane to Badu Jets

After trying an Endless Pool Fastlane, we've decided to go with that system. We've also decided to go with a lagoon style design since it'll probably go better with our yard. We are waiting for one more design and bid right now.

I'm not sure I want to add more decking to our pool, because we also have a large garden and a dog run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.