Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is salt level change an OK way to guestimate pool capacity?

1. Back To Top    #1

DFW Texas

Is salt level change an OK way to guestimate pool capacity?

Ive tried the calculator for size and average depth but That ia jsut a WAG... Since I am converting to salt, I though, "hey, I can figure out how much water I have.

I was at 400 ppm salt and then I added 520lbs of salt (13 bags)

I am now at 2800 ppm

using the pool calculator by putting in 400 > 2800 and adjusting the gallons of water, The required salt hits 520 lbs at about 25000 gal...

How accurate do you think that is? I had actually been estimating 25k gallons using the length/width /av depth method so I have to believe it is pretty close...

haha, the guy at the pool store did some napkin math and said I have a 34,000 gal pool... which would be nuts.

Looks like I need another 120 lbs of salt to get to 3400 ppm.
    7-10 year old In ground 25,000 gallons Plaster (quartz) W/ Spa & waterfall, DE filter Single speed pump, Racer cleaner, Leslie DPD #2004d test kit, IC40 SWG, ~40 ppm borate

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Is salt level change an OK way to guestimate pool capacity?

Chemical additions are the best way to determine pool volume, especially salt since you're adding alot and it's 100% salt, and once it's in the pool, it's not going anywhere else.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons