Pool chlorine Hot tub Bromine

Aug 23, 2011
Hi Guys,

I have new Hot tub, which we are running on Bromine for water treatment.
We also have an in ground pool which we use the bleach method to keep clean.
My question is?

If we go back and forth form the pool to the Hot Tub, and vice versa, will the chlorine be bad for the Hot tub, and will the bromine be bad for the pool?

Thanks Curt

The most likely scenario with pool to hot tub is that most of the chlorine in the water directly sticking to you will be gone by the time you reach the tub, but what does remain will simply react with the bromide to increase the bromine level, however small or temporary that increase is. From that there will be no negative effects.

When you go from the tub to the pool you will track some amount of sodium bromide to the pool. As such there will always be a small amount of bromine in your pool. Assuming you carried 1 gallon of water on you and your swimsuit and that you have 50 ppm of sodium bromide in your tub it would take 300-400 trips from your tub to the pool to increase the bromide level to 1 ppm in the pool. Bromide buildup in the pool would be a problem since bromine isn't stabilized by CYA the way chlorine is and will cause increased FC loss, but unless you have regular parties and people are constantly going back and forth it shouldn't be an issue. If you are concerned though a quick spray from the hose will rinse a good portion of it off.

I agree with above, but you could also run both with bleach with no issues

I did the exact same way as you mention for 2 years before I moved both to a SWG :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.