Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool chlorine Hot tub Bromine

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool chlorine Hot tub Bromine

Hi Guys,

I have new Hot tub, which we are running on Bromine for water treatment.
    We also have an in ground pool which we use the bleach method to keep clean.
    My question is?

If we go back and forth form the pool to the Hot Tub, and vice versa, will the chlorine be bad for the Hot tub, and will the bromine be bad for the pool?

Thanks Curt

2. Back To Top    #2
    NW Ohio

Re: Pool chlorine Hot tub Bromine

The most likely scenario with pool to hot tub is that most of the chlorine in the water directly sticking to you will be gone by the time you reach the tub, but what does remain will simply react with the bromide to increase the bromine level, however small or temporary that increase is. From that there will be no negative effects.

When you go from the tub to the pool you will track some amount of sodium bromide to the pool. As such there will always be a small amount of bromine in your pool. Assuming you carried 1 gallon of water on you and your swimsuit and that you have 50 ppm of sodium bromide in your tub it would take 300-400 trips from your tub to the pool to increase the bromide level to 1 ppm in the pool. Bromide buildup in the pool would be a problem since bromine isn't stabilized by CYA the way chlorine is and will cause increased FC loss, but unless you have regular parties and people are constantly going back and forth it shouldn't be an issue. If you are concerned though a quick spray from the hose will rinse a good portion of it off.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Pool chlorine Hot tub Bromine

I agree with above, but you could also run both with bleach with no issues

I did the exact same way as you mention for 2 years before I moved both to a SWG
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **