Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What Salt Test Strips for pool opening do you recommend?

1. Back To Top    #1

What Salt Test Strips for pool opening do you recommend?

When they open the pool they (pool company) will shock and vacuum (as well as hook stuff up). What salt test strips do you recommend to test for how much salt is needed?

In case my sig doesn't show it is:

​aarsic
    30k gallon in-ground plaster pool, Pentair Whisper-Flo 2.0hp, Jandy AquaPure PLC 1400 Saltwater Cell, Polaris 360 w/booster pump, DE filter. Due to a brain injury I cannot do Pool Math. Don't tell me to do Pool math unless you want to walk me through the whole thing.
    ​aarsic
    30k gallon in-ground plaster pool, Pentair Whisper-Flo 2.0hp, Jandy AquaPure PLC 1400 Saltwater Cell, Polaris 360 w/booster pump, DE filter. Due to a brain injury I cannot do Pool Math. Don't tell me to do Pool math unless you want to walk me through the whole thing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Salt Test Strips for pool opening do you recommend?

I use these, TFTestkits.net

Yesterday mine said I need more salt and my SWG said I need more salt so I am going to Lowes today to get more salt!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! We don't open until the end of the month. I'm planning to buy the Morton pool salt at Walmart!
    ​aarsic

4. Back To Top    #4

Good plan!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I prefer the Taylor's K-1766 Salt test that uses drops. I once compared test strips and the drop test at the same time....way different results! Strips were brand new and drop test was my regular kit. Strips said I had half as much salt as the drop test did.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Uh-oh. Well, I mostly rely on my SWG cell to tell me anyway. I usually add one bag, wait a day, is SWG happy?, no, repeat. I just use bleach in the meantime.
    TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh yeah, bottom line is *if the SWG is happy, I'm happy!* no matter what the salt reading says!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

I just knew after I ordered the strips someone was going to say the Taylor drops were better, LOL. I think adding the salt slowly is a good idea. The pool store did the water test last year and I was using Mineral Springs so I bought 8 bags of Beginnings $$$ and they said to put all at once in the shallow end. The SWG was happy all season, but I don't think all that salt EVER dissolved! This year - Morton pool salt! It's about $300 cheaper in the end!
    ​aarsic

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I just recently converted to a SWG and I use both. I use the strips (Aquacheck) an indicator if there not enough salt, and then if there seems to be a problem, then I do the drop test. So, it is actually good to have both on hand, that way you are not using the more expensive drop test to do routine checks. Luckily, the Taylor K-1766 yields the same results as my digital reader on my SWG.

10. Back To Top    #10

​aarsic