Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: french drain will not pump

1. Back To Top    #1

french drain will not pump

Help wife's pool has a french drain. Pulled liner to replace, water running in pool from cracks in deep end, can not get drain to pump any suggestions. I have tired every thing I know. thanks
    Fox Nautilus 26x43 inground liner 1 1/2 hp super pump 280 polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: french drain will not pump

Is this a submersable pump? Can you pull up the pump to make sure it does not have a clog?
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

No sir drain has no pump just a drain in bottom pipe stubbed out to pumps

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you are referring to main drain in the bottom of the pool. Is the pool mostly empty? The pump probably doesn't have enough suction to lift the water that high when the pool isn't full.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

No sir the pool has a french drain under bottom drain.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok count me in the confused club.

You have a pool with a liner. It has a bottom drain (dual drains?) (actually a suction port on the bottom of the pool). Correct? That is piped to the main pump.

And you have some other pipe that you call a french drain Under the pool?

And by french drain you mean a perforated pipe for collecting water and transporting it away? Is it under the pool or beside the pool?

Can we get a picture?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

ok drain is under pool bottom in deep end. It has a perforated pipe in gravel rock below pool bottom drain

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm sure you could get more helpful info if you'd post a picture of what you are referring to.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have access to the exit pipe? Down a hill or something? Or is it more of a dry well situation? Or is there a sump with a sump pump in it?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

When they built my pool they put in the same thing which is a gravel "sump" that has a 2" pipe running to it, if you want to drain the pool you can pump the water out from beneath the shell so it won't pop out. I have never tried to use it but I was told thats what its for. I think a true french drain uses gravity to drain.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

You know you are right, I have read and i have a gravel sump not a french drain oh well what won't a pool builder tell you too get your money. Live and learn but you can not pump sump unless you have a vacuum pump or vac truck. oh well pool guy 1 owner 0.

12. Back To Top    #12

My neighbor when I lived in WI had similar. His had no true sump/pit or anything but was a larger diameter vertical pipe sticking out of the ground and they dropped a submersible pump with a hose down the pipe.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.