Pool chemicsls and their interelationships

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to All,

Is there anywhere w/in the TFP website a chart or similar that provides how the increase or decrease of one or more chemicals [or external variables like sun/wind/organic compounds] will impact your other pool chemicals? For example:

1. The more CYA that is added to the water [by CL-Tablets or CYA Crystals], the more CL it takes to effectively disinfect the pool.
2. The more Muratic acid that is added to the pool, the lower your pH
3. The more optimal your TA is fine-tuned in relation to your pH, the less often you have to add M-Acid to raise your pH.
4. The more NaHCO3 you add to your pool, the greater your TA will be, as well as raising your pH.
5. The greater increase of sunlight [UV] on your pool water, the faster your CL will be consumed. Also, in-conjunction w greater sunlight, the higher your CYA levels, the faster your CL is consumed or less its effectivemess. Debris and other organic compounds also increases the consumption rate of your CL too.
6. The more aeration devices used, such as waterfalls, scuppers, spillovers, wind etc] the faster your pH will rise
7. The more rainwater added to your pool and displacement of the current water chemistries, the greater dilution of the CH and CYA, which can only otherwise be lowered draining your pool water and replacement chemical free water. Note, the dilution of pool water in general will dilute all concentrations, but both CH and CYA are not generally consumed by sun, wind or other pool activity as both CL & pH levels are.
8. etc

I would suggest that each pool's water is situation specific, I am looking for general rules that follow basic chemistry principles. My goal is to build upon the basics faster and as a pool owner becomes more familiar and educated in testing and supporting their pools chemistries, the sooner the pool owner will become more savvy in the more advanced chemical relationships...I hope this makes sense to all.

Thank you,
tstex

I just took one more measurement, which prior to that we ran the spa last night & I added about 1.5" of 125CH Tap water to pool

FC = 6
CC = 0
CH = 375
TA = 70
pH = 7.6
CYA = 50
water temp 73
Water clarity = TFP Crystal Clear...

Many thanks Folks,
Tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's an update on Monday morning w the Fri am recap below. Just trying to get your opinion on pH stability. Water temp is again reading 73.

Took a quick FC & pH reading at 9am Monday 4/11...I did not touch the pool either Sat or Sun being out of town...the FC was btw 2 & 3, and the pH was btw 7.5 - 7.8 leaning more towards 7.8 if you need any other test results, pls advise. thank you very much, tstex..[Note, before I left on Friday am, I added some CL [liq bleach 8% and a very sm amt of M-acid 32%]

"I just took one more measurement, which prior to that we ran the spa last night & I added about 1.5" of 125CH Tap water to pool." This was done on Friday morning 4/8 at 10am

FC = 6
CC = 0
CH = 375
TA = 70
pH = 7.6
CYA = 50
water temp 73
Water clarity = TFP Crystal Clear"

That is pretty good. Not much acid and not much rise. I would wait to add acid until it gets above 7.8 and lower it to 7.6 or 7.5. It just might stay at 7.8. Lowering the PH will continue to lower TA, usually until equilibrium is reached and you don't have to add acid anymore. Letting your TA drop to 60 is OK if that is where it settles on its own. But, that also depends on if you are running water features that aerate and raise PH. Or what the TA and PH is in your fill water. Your fill water might push up your TA and/or PH if it is high. Ya'll also get a lot of rain though too. Rain usually raises PH through aeration. Lots of things impact TA and PH stability.

Thanks again dv, I'll wait and see on the muratic acid...I also did not think to test the fill water for pH and TA.. I have for CH and it was 125.

Since we have a spa-spillover, that is constant aeration so it's going to raise pH. I also run the 2 scuppers 3-4 times per week to circulate the water & equalize the chemistries. when running the spa only, that's the least aeration, but then firing-up the blower really aerates the spa. Not sure how to isolate the spillover to determine the real equilibrium btw TA & pH if the pH is getting hammered by the spillover...thanks again

Matt, thanks for the detailed read...I will cut that into segments and get on to it...that thread is filled w info and beyond.

Have a great day guys,
tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.