Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool chemicsls and their interelationships

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool chemicsls and their interelationships

Hello to All,

Is there anywhere w/in the TFP website a chart or similar that provides how the increase or decrease of one or more chemicals [or external variables like sun/wind/organic compounds] will impact your other pool chemicals? For example:

1. The more CYA that is added to the water [by CL-Tablets or CYA Crystals], the more CL it takes to effectively disinfect the pool.
    2. The more Muratic acid that is added to the pool, the lower your pH
    3. The more optimal your TA is fine-tuned in relation to your pH, the less often you have to add M-Acid to raise your pH.
    4. The more NaHCO3 you add to your pool, the greater your TA will be, as well as raising your pH.
    5. The greater increase of sunlight [UV] on your pool water, the faster your CL will be consumed. Also, in-conjunction w greater sunlight, the higher your CYA levels, the faster your CL is consumed or less its effectivemess. Debris and other organic compounds also increases the consumption rate of your CL too.
    6. The more aeration devices used, such as waterfalls, scuppers, spillovers, wind etc] the faster your pH will rise
    7. The more rainwater added to your pool and displacement of the current water chemistries, the greater dilution of the CH and CYA, which can only otherwise be lowered draining your pool water and replacement chemical free water. Note, the dilution of pool water in general will dilute all concentrations, but both CH and CYA are not generally consumed by sun, wind or other pool activity as both CL & pH levels are.
    8. etc

I would suggest that each pool's water is situation specific, I am looking for general rules that follow basic chemistry principles. My goal is to build upon the basics faster and as a pool owner becomes more familiar and educated in testing and supporting their pools chemistries, the sooner the pool owner will become more savvy in the more advanced chemical relationships...I hope this makes sense to all.

Thank you,
    tstex
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool chemicsls and their interelationships

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you dv---I know I've read some of these things but it was before I was taking care of the pool..now they will have more meaning..
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

4. Back To Top    #4

At the bottom of poolmath there is a section titled Effects of Adding Chemicals. If you have entered your pool volume above, it will tell you how much each chemical will affect things.

This thread goes into a lot more detail on chemistry: Pool Water Chemistry
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you Richard - tstex

6. Back To Top    #6

I just took one more measurement, which prior to that we ran the spa last night & I added about 1.5" of 125CH Tap water to pool

FC = 6
    CC = 0
    CH = 375
    TA = 70
    pH = 7.6
    CYA = 50
    water temp 73
    Water clarity = TFP Crystal Clear...

Many thanks Folks,
    Tstex

7. Back To Top    #7

Those are some good looking numbers!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks... Can we start another forum called TFS.,Trouble Free Stock? I need some good looking numbers there too!

9. Back To Top    #9

PS 100% credit goes to the forum members..I was only following instructions & reading other people's posts.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tstex View Post
    Thanks... Can we start another forum called TFS.,Trouble Free Stock? I need some good looking numbers there too!
    LOL nope BUT you can help us keep the lights on for others and yourself in the future!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Just pm'ed you..thx & pls advise

12. Back To Top    #12

Here's an update on Monday morning w the Fri am recap below. Just trying to get your opinion on pH stability. Water temp is again reading 73.

Took a quick FC & pH reading at 9am Monday 4/11...I did not touch the pool either Sat or Sun being out of town...the FC was btw 2 & 3, and the pH was btw 7.5 - 7.8 leaning more towards 7.8 if you need any other test results, pls advise. thank you very much, tstex..[Note, before I left on Friday am, I added some CL [liq bleach 8% and a very sm amt of M-acid 32%]

"I just took one more measurement, which prior to that we ran the spa last night & I added about 1.5" of 125CH Tap water to pool." This was done on Friday morning 4/8 at 10am

FC = 6
    CC = 0
    CH = 375
    TA = 70
    pH = 7.6
    CYA = 50
    water temp 73
    Water clarity = TFP Crystal Clear"

13. Back To Top    #13

That is pretty good. Not much acid and not much rise. I would wait to add acid until it gets above 7.8 and lower it to 7.6 or 7.5. It just might stay at 7.8. Lowering the PH will continue to lower TA, usually until equilibrium is reached and you don't have to add acid anymore. Letting your TA drop to 60 is OK if that is where it settles on its own. But, that also depends on if you are running water features that aerate and raise PH. Or what the TA and PH is in your fill water. Your fill water might push up your TA and/or PH if it is high. Ya'll also get a lot of rain though too. Rain usually raises PH through aeration. Lots of things impact TA and PH stability.
    TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks again dv, I'll wait and see on the muratic acid...I also did not think to test the fill water for pH and TA.. I have for CH and it was 125.

Since we have a spa-spillover, that is constant aeration so it's going to raise pH. I also run the 2 scuppers 3-4 times per week to circulate the water & equalize the chemistries. when running the spa only, that's the least aeration, but then firing-up the blower really aerates the spa. Not sure how to isolate the spillover to determine the real equilibrium btw TA & pH if the pH is getting hammered by the spillover...thanks again

Matt, thanks for the detailed read...I will cut that into segments and get on to it...that thread is filled w info and beyond.

Have a great day guys,
    tstex