Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help with plumbing repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help with plumbing repair

Is there a way to permanently seal the hole where my automatic chlorinator broke. I never use it. It is a relic from prior to TFP.

Do they make a plug or is there a way to permanently seal it somehow without cutting pipes? Am I correct that the part that broke threads through their and so perhaps do they make a plug?

If I must cut pipes can you coach me on unscrewing where the vertical part meets the 2 fittings on the pump?

I assume that both of those 2 lower fittings can be unscrewed?

Now that I think about it, just replace the piece that broke even though I don't use it? I assume the chlorinator fills with water or doesn't matter if it fills with water?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Johnny B; 04-07-2016 at 09:24 PM. Reason: subscribe
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Please help with plumbing repair

You might try removing the fitting that's broken and install a stainless steel screw from the inside of the fitting to the outside coated with silicone sealant and reinstall.
    OR .. with the broken fitting removed clean and rough it up with a little sand paper and use a two part epoxy to seal the hole, fill completely and have a "head" like the screw on the inside of the fitting and reinstall it.

You could also use a different clamp with rubber that seals the same way and would just fit over the opening. Check out a hardware or box store and try to find the "old guy" who would know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are comfortable with it, or have someone who can help, it looks MUCH easier to me to just re-do some of that plumbing entirely!

You have a threaded to slip fitting at the pump, and two elbows. You'd also need a coupling after that second elbow, wherever the PVC gets cut. I'd just cut it out and re-do it. PVC cutters are easy to use and many here could help with that as well.

Kiss4aFrog answered what you asked more directly though, lol. I just don't see it as being worth all that effort for something that would be more likely to fail compared to just re-plumbing a little. I know you asked about avoiding cutting, but it looks like it would be much easier to me.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the help.
    Turns out I have the parts from an old kit.
    Any tips or tricks to pry out the old fitting that inserts into the PVC 1.5inch pipe? Just gently with a screw driver
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

It isn't possible to separate glued PVC fittings.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    Thanks for the help.
    Turns out I have the parts from an old kit.
    Any tips or tricks to pry out the old fitting that inserts into the PVC 1.5inch pipe? Just gently with a screw driver
    Once the clamp is off, that other piece is just stuck in with hardened brittle rubber. I'd stick a screwdriver into the hole and jiggle things up-and-down and side-to-side to loosen it or perhaps make it disintegrate so you can pull the rest of it out. Just be gentle, because PVC pipe can get brittle with age, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!