Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable Speed motor sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable Speed motor sizing

I am looking to put a variable speed motor on my Hayward Super Pump. I'm not sure what size I need though. My pool is around 28,800 gallons. I have to skimmers tied into one two inch pvc line that reduces to 1.5" PVS at the three way diverter valve. My main drain is 1.5" PVC coming into the other side of the diverter valve. I want to be able to turn the pool over at least 1.5 times a day. Is there any more information I need to figure this out? Thanks in advance guys.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable Speed motor sizing

I think that 1.65 total HP is the lowest power variable speed motor available. You should never need the full power of that motor.
    What model is your pump? What is the total motor HP? Total HP is label HP x S.F (Service Factor).

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a Hayward Super Pump with a Century C48L2N134C2 1Hp motor. What is a service factor? Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman17 View Post
    I am looking to put a variable speed motor on my Hayward Super Pump.
    I would be careful about using one of those add of VS motors, many people have had issues with those.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman17 View Post
    I want to be able to turn the pool over at least 1.5 times a day.
    Why? That is almost never required. I turn over my pool at most 1/2 times per day in the heat of the summer 100F+.

You can read the run time study in my signature or the pool school article: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater