Hi from South Florida

mflak

Apr 7, 2016
Fort Lauderdale
I am coming up on second season and only went to pool store first season however am ready to start the journey of getting pool and keeping pool balanced especially with this south Florida heat.

My main concern today is 8,200 gallons and was told cya is 118 because local pool store recommended chlorine tabs eventhough we were shocking and have the ionizer. Any recommendation would be appreciated. I finally got pH up and alkalinity up to levels to swim this afternoon. Is it safe for my two children to swim with CYA at 118? I also noticed another post online that said no to clarifiers. Thanks so much for your help

I am going to start you off with this link. It is the whys and hows of TFP. It might take several readings for it to sink in as there is a LOT of info here.

I will check back in on you tomorrow to see how you are doing.

Yes it is safe to swim with the CYA at just about any level. It is the other levels that determine if the water is safe or not.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Kim is always exceptionally thrilled to see another FL member. :) Make sure to ask ANY questions you may have. The links in my sig below are quite important as well. Great to have you with us. Swimming season is almost here! :swim:

Power ionizer maintenance

Thanks Kim I did read that link and was specifically looking at maintenance for those with ionizers. Should I use chlorine or not and which kind if so? We were greenish and cloudy from not using for a couple of months but now crystal clear. I'm very happy to be here and look forward to learning a great deal.
-Michelle
I am going to start you off with this link.

There are no instructions on the forum for ionizers. Generally speaking, they are frowned on for outdoor residential pools.

We can help you chlorinate your pool as if the ionizer isn't there but we are not much help in operating them nor do we feel they are a viable form of sanitation.

Welcome to TFP.

Dave is right. We do not recommend ionizer because chlorine is so much better at disinfecting your pool. Please reconsider using the ionizer all together. Pool School will show you how to have a trouble free pool.