Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hair Net Heaven

1. Back To Top    #1

Hair Net Heaven

Someone suggested using hair nets in the skimmer basket in place of pool socks and I thought it was worth a try because I could buy 100 hair nets for about $6.00 on Amazon. That's really cheap compared to the cost of pool sock$. Yesterday my order of hairnets arrived and since we already have a sock in the skimmer I suggested to my husband he put one on the skimmer net. He has a thing about the tiny bits of debris that float on surface of the water. I can live with the tiny debris but I can't live with him complaining about it every day! The holes in the skimmer net are too large to catch the tiny bits that float on the surface of our pool.

Because everyone always wants to know where are the pictures, I have included pictures showing how he put the hair net onto the skimmer net and the results.
    The hair nets work beautifully! The pool was looking good but it now looks great! Even better, a marriage has been saved!

Here is the link to my hair net purchase.

Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Science Lab Hairnets: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

Here are the pictures. The drain by the cat's chest in the last picture is 8' deep.

Approx. 20k gal, kidney-shaped, inground, concrete pool built in 1974. 33' long. 18', 14', & 15' across. 3' to 8' deep. Hayward cartridge filter (c1200e). 1 hp, single speed motor replaced 12/2015. In-line Pentair 320 Chlorine/Bromine feeder (do not use). Screened.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Hair Net Heaven

I'm the one who posted a link to those hair nets on Amazon, but I was using them to line my skimmer baskets. I never thought of using them like that on the pole net. Thank for the suggestion. You should post it in Tips and Tricks
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't live without a net or some type of skimmer sock in my skimmer. Priceless.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

LOL hairnets in for the save! LOVE it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Got my new box of them ready if our pup decides he likes to swim.

I wasn't originally following how the hair net was going to make the floatie bits go into the skimmer then I saw your pole skimmer net and .
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Got my new box of them ready if our pup decides he likes to swim.

I wasn't originally following how the hair net was going to make the floatie bits go into the skimmer then I saw your pole skimmer net and .
    We have a kitty who hasn't taken to jumping in....yet....but the hair nets are a great solution for pet hair. We're always battling tree detritus from the neighbor.
    Approx. 20k gal, kidney-shaped, inground, concrete pool built in 1974. 33' long. 18', 14', & 15' across. 3' to 8' deep. Hayward cartridge filter (c1200e). 1 hp, single speed motor replaced 12/2015. In-line Pentair 320 Chlorine/Bromine feeder (do not use). Screened.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    I'm the one who posted a link to those hair nets on Amazon, but I was using them to line my skimmer baskets. I never thought of using them like that on the pole net. Thank for the suggestion. You should post it in Tips and Tricks
    Done.

8. Back To Top    #8

Someone gave me the tip of how to make the photo show up on the post instead of just the link so I did that. Are the photos on the post annoying because they are so huge? Should I stick with links?

9. Back To Top    #9

Nope, they look great!

Cool cat and NICE pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

I like them IN the post so I do not have to go out or do an extra step. THANKS for asking!

kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I'm glad you posted a pic of the actual hairnets. All I could think of were the kind that were more open, and was wondering how in the world that would help. NOW I get it, lol.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

12. Back To Top    #12

I use the same exact ones as skimmer socks. I feel like a $6 pack is going to last me several seasons.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

With the oak pollen I have used an entire package of hair nets since last fall. I rarely have to backwash my filter since I started using them.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

15. Back To Top    #15

I get lots of tree debris so I double them in my skimmer to get smaller stuff and have to change 2-3 times a day during this time of year.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!