Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Identifying Substance in Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Identifying Substance in Pool

Anyone have any idea what this could be in the bottom of my pool? At first I thought it was sand from my sand filter, but when I try to scoop it up it scatters like dust. Is it algae?

It vacuums up fairly easily but I haven't vacuumed for a week so that I could see what this stuff was.

substance.jpg
    11,500 Gallon IG Blue Hawaiian Vista Isle Fiberglass Pool (January 2015), LED Light, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy FloPro 1.0 HP Single Speed Pool Pump, Jandy Pro Series Sand Filter - Top Mount - 22", Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 pressure-side pool cleaner, Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump, Jandy Never Lube 3-way Valve, Brushed Concrete Coping and Deck, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, Taylor K‑1766 Salt Water Test Kit, SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Identifying Substance in Pool

Do you have any ducks around?
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

No. Completely fenced in backyard with NO trees .. just surrounded by grass.

- - - Updated - - -

It "speckles" on my tanning deck as well through out the swimming season. But like I said, it easily vacuums up so it's not THAT huge of an issue, just a nuisance. Could it be sand even though it scatters like dust when I attempt to pick it up?
    11,500 Gallon IG Blue Hawaiian Vista Isle Fiberglass Pool (January 2015), LED Light, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy FloPro 1.0 HP Single Speed Pool Pump, Jandy Pro Series Sand Filter - Top Mount - 22", Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 pressure-side pool cleaner, Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump, Jandy Never Lube 3-way Valve, Brushed Concrete Coping and Deck, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, Taylor K‑1766 Salt Water Test Kit, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's a closer look ..

substance2.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

just looks like some dirt accumulation over time.

If you test for combined chlorine and it's zero you know its not algae.

Here in my region it's POLLEN TIME!

Been vacuuming it up every other day for a week.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Just a side note here. You can have zero combined chlorine and still have algae.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

You can?

How would that be possible?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Absolutely you can. My pool is proof.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Bump your FC to above 10 and perform an OCLT. Do you brush your pool regularly? (Bottom and sides)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Use a turkey baster and suck some up. Put a white paper towel inside a colander and and squirt it out gently. See what color it is and what it feels like. You can also allow it to dry and see what it is like then.

Kim (I think it is dirt but.....)
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    Just a side note here. You can have zero combined chlorine and still have algae.
    Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    You can?

How would that be possible?
    Absolutely you can. My pool is proof.
    Yep, Aimee is correct.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for everyone's input! Pollen does sound reasonable being in South Louisiana .. been hovering between 75 - 85 here lately. I also like the idea of sucking some of it up and putting it on a paper towel to see what I get... stay tuned!

13. Back To Top    #13

True that!

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75 View Post
    Do you have any ducks around?
    HA! It does look like duck poo.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

This thread is seriously lacking some current test results and nobody has asked for them.

JcSparky, can you post them up for us? Without them, everyone is just stabbing guesses.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Certainly .. I will do that this weekend .. between the glimpse of The Masters, of course. Thanks again!

16. Back To Top    #16

I’m thinking possibly mustard algae.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    This thread is seriously lacking some current test results and nobody has asked for them.

JcSparky, can you post them up for us? Without them, everyone is just stabbing guesses.
    DOH!!!!!!!!!! Sorry about that boss! I will do better next time.

Can you also tell us how you are testing the water please?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Will be testing using the TFP method .. Taylor K-2006. Hope to have results today sometime.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post

Someone suggested an OCLT, lol.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

20. Back To Top    #20

Results are in. I have been running my pool pump between 11 AM and 4 PM each day for a couple of weeks now. The SWG is set to max output. My current water temperature is 75 F degrees. The pump had been running 2 hours when I started my testing around 1 PM.

FC : 2.2 (interesting so low given amount of salt and max output of SWG)
    CC : 0
    PH : 7.6
    CYA : < 30 (dot never disappeared)
    TA : 60
    CH : 80
    SC : 4200 ppm (optimum for my SWG) .. salt level for those asking

Fire away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast