Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: retrofit of auto-fill

1. Back To Top    #1

retrofit of auto-fill

Hello to All,

Our pool was installed last Aug-2014-March 2015...we knew to have auto-fill installed.

I have 3 diff n-bors that had their pool installed at time of house construction...makes sense, no hassle of having the pool built when you are there. But, the builder did not install any of them w auto-fill. I left to take daughter to airport this morning at 4am CST. Saw water coming from neighbors backyard drain to street...saw it again returning at 630am so I called him...he turned on his water at 830 last night to fill his pool and forgot...that's going to be an expensive bill

N-bor next to me that moved to Canada per his company...has not sold his house since July 15...guess what n-bor was his autofill for 5 yrs...told him to get it a long time ago, but he did not...he hired a pool m-man when he moved out, his comp bought house 14 days ago and let his pool guy go...guess what...Pentair VSP burned-up this morning...guy behind me has same problem. As a good citizen, I called him when his pump was cavitating and his wife immediately filled pool...

So, what is the best method or options for retrofitting a pool w auto-fill ?? I have 3 prospects for someone to install them.

regards, tstex
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: retrofit of auto-fill

Retrofits can be difficult because you generally need a location near the pool to install the auto fill. If you have a suitable location then its relatively simple. But even then it could be costly. Say around $1,000 to $1500.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Some people have built hose mounted auto-fill devices from either cattle trough fill cut off floats or a common toilette cartridge float with a PVC pipe U to bottom feed it.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

At the very least everyone using a hose should use a hose timer.

Shop Orbit 1-Program Digital Hose End Timer at Lowes.com
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for your answers...I'm trying to get all these people going in the right direction....rgds, tstex
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill