Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Zodiac MX6 gets stuck on steps (with video) - need some help with what parts I need

1. Back To Top    #1

Zodiac MX6 gets stuck on steps (with video) - need some help with what parts I need

Hi everyone. Thanks for checking out my thread. I've had this cleaner for maybe 6 months and haven't had a problem until now. I can start it anywhere in the pool and it always gets hung up on the bottom step. I went ahead and went through the troubleshooting steps for "the cleaner gets stuck at steps" with no success. I would appreciate any help you could give me with what part(s) I need to replace to get the MX6 rocking again. Thanks!

Video: MX6 - YouTube

Troubleshooting steps already performed:

• (MX8/MX8 Elite) Observe cleaner for more than five (5) minutes and
    ensure that each drive track is periodically reversing direction. If it is
    not, contact you dealer or service center for help.
    - Drive track closest to camera doesn't seem to be reversing direction

• Ensure return line fittings are directed downward. Add a return diverter
    if necessary
    - Good to go

• Count wheel rotations to verify proper flow. Refer to section, “Check for
    Proper Flow”. Adjust flow if necessary.
    - Checked for proper flow. 10 revolutions in 21 seconds

• Make sure hose is not kinked or coiled. Lay in sun to straighten if
    necessary
    - Hose not kinked

• Verify hose float is positioned approximately 9" from cleaner head.
    - Verified.

• Confirm proper hose length for your pool. Refer to section, “Determine
    Correct Hose Length."
    - Confirmed

• Ensure the swivel on top of the cleaner rotates freely.
    - Confirmed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Zodiac MX6 gets stuck on steps (with video) - need some help with what parts I ne

I think I figured it out. I compared my tracks to a picture of new ones online and my tread is really worn out. Ordered some new ones. Hopefully that's the problem but won't know for a few more days.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Zodiac MX6 gets stuck on steps (with video) - need some help with what parts I ne

When I was operating a man it was usually drive problems. It doesn't take much traction for it to work.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I have had maybe four robots and only one was able to extricate itself from the steps and then it was agonizing to watch!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

You were right Pikeman. Not the tracks. I think I have it figured out. I just installed a Baracuda R0524700 Side A Direction Control Device Replacement for Baracuda MX8 Pool Cleaner and I think it's good to go. When I spent some more time investigating, I noticed the side "A" track wasn't reversing after rotating the bottom turbine for a while.

I called the Zodiac tech line and sent them the video as well. The tech's fix was to put a Home Depot bucket in my pool where the cleaner gets stuck (this was after telling him it's been working fine for 6-8 months or so). Yeah, no thanks.

Hopefully, this helps someone out down the line that has the same problem. I'll update, if I find out the replacement part didn't work.

Now I need to get to work on the green pool I have now after the cleaner being out of commission

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh yeah. If any of you have the same problem as I posted above in the video, a new Baracuda R0524700 Side A Direction Control Device is the answer.
    Cheers!