Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak around pressure gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak around pressure gauge

Where the pressure gauge is screwed in on top of my filter looks to be leaking water slowly. I can see a crack and water slowly dripping out. Is this something that I need to replace? Could it be allowing air back into the filter and eventually cause issues?

IMG_1922.jpg
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak around pressure gauge

The only time it should let air back into your system is when the pump is off. While running, water would be forced-out due to it being on the pressure side of your pump. It would be a good idea to replace it. The last thing you want is for it to rupture while you're asleep or away from home. You might want to check the gauges available on TFTeskits.com right HERE.

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The gauges from TFTestkits.net are nice because they're glycerine filled and the numbers go to 30 so its easier to see. Its a fast change out with a little plumbers tape you're good to go!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

That black thing is your air bleed. Mine cracked adjacent to the gauge threads so I replaced the whole thing. Just replacing the gauge won't do it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good eye Richard. Maybe something like this: Amazon.com: Pentair 98209800 High Flow Manual Relief Valve Replacement Pool and Spa Filter: Patio, Lawn Garden. Double-check your model number though before ordering.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    That black thing is your air bleed. Mine cracked adjacent to the gauge threads so I replaced the whole thing. Just replacing the gauge won't do it.
    Thanks. I'll replace the whole thing. Have a new pressure gauge from tftestkits that just arrived today that I will use also.
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015