Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Covers

Anything new out there that lasts longer than 2 years? Does anyone make one out of thin bubbles (like 1/8")? I bought some of this to wrap around my 15g chlorine tank: InfraStop 24 Double Bubble Reflective Foil Insulation - Automotive Fuel Tanks - Amazon.com It's very nice and works well at reflecting heat. It's like 1/8" bubble with foil on each side. I'm thinking this bubble but with no foil would work well as a solar cover (mainly for lighter weight and maybe cheaper).

IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Solar Covers

I went with the thick 16 mil one before I knew better, I can say the pool went from 60 to 75 degrees in 3 weeks with the mean temp about 60 degrees here..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Some people have had luck with thicker covers lasting longer but I have tried 5, 8 & 12 mil covers and they all seemed to last the same amount of time. So now I just buy the cheapest (and lightest) cover I can find on eBay. The last one I got was 5 mil for less than $80 (actually two AG covers) and it is about to hit the two year mark and it looks like it is nearing its EOL.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone try the small 3/16 packing bubble wrap? Comes in 4', 6' widths. Would be easy to make 3 or 4 rollups. I have 12' sections of 12 gauge now, and it gets heavy.

IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB