Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentiar Intellichlor IC40

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentiar Intellichlor IC40

I would like to convert my pool to SWG. I estimate it to be about 12-15k, is the IC20 enough or should I go with the IC40? Also is this on any level a DIY? Pol guy quoted me $1700 for the IC40 and installation, I think I can get it much cheaper myself and was hoping to save money installing myself.
    2010 In Ground ~ 12-15,000 Gallon estimated
    ~3 ft shallow ~ 6 ft deep ~38 ft x 17 ft Freeform shape Pebbletec Finish
    2 Drains, 2 Skimmers, Sidewall Vacuum (Not in Use)
    Dolphin Oasis Z5 - PHPF1.0 Pump - Jandy CV340 Filter
    Fort Mill, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentiar Intellichlor IC40

An IC-40 would be better.

It's a DIY project BUT if you self install, Pentair will not give you the full 1-yr warranty, only a 60-day warranty. Sometimes you can do the install and have an electrician friend sign off on it (usually requires a paid invoice as proof or professional installation) but that's not so easy to come by.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Here is a good comparison chart of most of the SWG's.. Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

There are ones that give the warranty even if self install
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

1700 is quite a lot... I just bought an Easy touch with built in power for the IC40 + the cell + valve controllers + an intelletouch wireless control kit for $2000.00 shipped

No affiliation but Pentair EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 Pool and Spa Control with IC40 Cell
    Here is the IC40 and power supply alone for 840.00 Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorination System (Complete)
    Their shipping was pretty fast too!

You can get the 4 relay version even cheaper if you only need 4

I am in the middle of a DIY easytouch install... it is obviously more involved than just the IC40 but its actually going pretty well.
    7-10 year old In ground 20,000 gal, Aquabright ecofinish W/ Spa, waterfall and infinity jet, 60 sq foot DE filter, Single speed pump, Racer cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

My PB wanted $1,700 to install as well. I purchased a IC40 online for about $800 and with $40 in PVC parts and flexible conduit (power generator) I did it myself. it works great. If you have a heater, make sure to install a check valve between the heater and SWG. I have a EasyTouch and just wired it to my Pentair VS relay so it only comes on when pump does.
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

6. Back To Top    #6

what will be the purpose of the check valve between the heater and the SWG?
    thank you

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

It is so high concentrated chlorine does not go backwards into the heater when the pump is shut off.. I have my SWG automated so it shuts off 5 minutes before my pump
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

8. Back To Top    #8

One way to consider it is... using 15,000 gallons, and the SWG at 100% output, and to get 3 PPM FC replacement... the IC20 would need 13 hours, the IC40 6.5 hours, and the IC60 4.5 hours.

For me, the SWG size decision was related to my plan for pump run-time, which would rule out the IC20, plus... ya can always turn 'em down but max is max.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners