Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noisy sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Noisy sand filter

I am currently running a Hayward pro series S244-t sand filter (multi-port on top) with a pentair superflo 1.5 HP pump. When I am running the system on filter, I notice a sound in the filter like there is air being churned around. My pump is not sucking air, the strainer pot is clear without air bubbles and my pressure gauge is reading 19 PSI. I've noticed when i shut one of my two return lines (doesn't matter which one) the noise goes away. I switched out my jet eyes with a smaller diameter (from one to half inch) and the noise goes away as well but my pressure spikes to 26 PSI. That seems a bit high for my liking. Is this noise normal operation for these filters? Since its a top mount, I don't have a relief valve to purge with but have run the filter in backwash and rinse in order to try to clear out any air. I do have a booster pump attached to the system as well but when not in use, I have the valve on the intake side shut (its getting old and leaking working on replacing it). Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or even information on this? I greatly appreciate it!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Noisy sand filter

Welcome, I think you are probably hearing sand moving around, it may be air but as long as its not shooting sand in your pool you should be good.. also the lower the pressure the better you system is working.

Have you done a deep clean? I think this will help you very much Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the tip. To me, it sounds like more than just sand but I suppose it could be. The sound is coming more from the multi port switch than the filter itself. I haven't had a chance to open it up to give t a deep clean but may have to make time for it. I just want to make sure I'm not going to wreck the system because I ignored something I shouldn't have. The sound is more annoying than anything I suppose. I did try to set the filter to recirculate to see if the noise would continue. It quieted down but you could tell the noise was still there, just not as loud.

Thanks again!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP bmtrimp

I agree on sticking with the larger return eyeballs. Easier on the system and likely better circulation and filtering.
    Sounds are a hard thing to figure out. If you have anyway of recording and posting a short video that would be very helpful.

You might want to take the multiport valve apart and just check on the spider gasket too since you say the noise might be in that area. Or see if something got stuck in there that shouldn't be.
    Shows the basics for getting it apart. - - > https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...19028448,d.amc
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Do you know how much sand is in the filter?

What size pump are you using.....up rated or full rated?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Could be pump cavitation..... possibly because there is not enough back pressure on the return side.

Since you have a multi-port valve, it should have a "Recirc" position on it. If so, place in "Recirc" (which bypasses the filter) and turn the pump on. Let us know if you still hear the sound or if it increases/decreases.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    Could be pump cavitation..... possibly because there is not enough back pressure on the return side.

Since you have a multi-port valve, it should have a "Recirc" position on it. If so, place in "Recirc" (which bypasses the filter) and turn the pump on. Let us know if you still hear the sound or if it increases/decreases.
    I did try it in recirculate, the noise decreased but did not go away.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Do you know how much sand is in the filter?

What size pump are you using.....up rated or full rated?
    I am currently running a Hayward pro series S244-t sand filter (multi-port on top) with a pentair superflo 1.5 HP pump. It says to have 300 pounds of sand in the filter. I just purchased the house with the pool so i don't have a way to verify that it was filled correctly.

9. Back To Top    #9

I also think its your pump, you need more back pressure. Pentair suggests using smaller eyeballs or throttle it down with a valve.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by banditig View Post
    I also think its your pump, you need more back pressure. Pentair suggests using smaller eyeballs or throttle it down with a valve.
    I did switch my eyeballs to smaller diameter and the sound went away but my pressure shot up to 28 pounds. Is that too high of pressure? I know the filter is rated at 50 but 28 just seems high to me.

11. Back To Top    #11

My sand filter will rise to 25 at 3450 rpm, even after backwash. You could put a valve between pump and filter, but that is wastefull energy.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

With the original eyeballs installed, can you turn down the flow - just slightly - to one or both to minimize the sound? Or maybe put one newer eyeball in - where you need the most push for circulation - and see if the sound decreases.

A picture of your equipment pad (from a few different angles - might help and allow more suggestions. You can use Photobucket to upload pictures and then use the IMG link there to post the images here.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    With the original eyeballs installed, can you turn down the flow - just slightly - to one or both to minimize the sound? Or maybe put one newer eyeball in - where you need the most push for circulation - and see if the sound decreases.

A picture of your equipment pad (from a few different angles - might help and allow more suggestions. You can use Photobucket to upload pictures and then use the IMG link there to post the images here.
    Here is my setup. 1.5 inch pipes, two jets, one skimmer, main drain. s244-t filter, superflo 1.5 HP pump. This is a picture from when I purchased the home before i opened the pool. I have my booster pump closed but all other valves are open.

ISd87vv6f44ayd1000000000.jpg
    Also link: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Well, it looks like your filter is hard plumbed with no unions so you cannot casually take off the multi port and check the sand level......that stinks.

Since the sound is coming from the multiport, why not disassemble it and look at the spider gasket? That's a common source of problems.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Had to add a couple of unions to my piping when I decided to do a deep clean of the filter. Worth it!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!