Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising the CYA up with Trichlor pucks

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising the CYA up with Trichlor pucks

I was wondering about how many of these Trichlor pucks that was left behind by the last owners should I put in the dispenser to get my CYA back up to about the 30 to 40 range ? Right now the CYA is about 20-25. I was thinking maybe I should kick it up a little more.
    When I first moved in here it was way over the 100 range. It took me over a year to get it down to that a little at a time. Since I went to the TFP method and got my own test kit now I only use 10% Bleach, MA and sometimes Baking soda and it always looks crystal clear.
    Also,I want to thank you guys for showing me the way!!!
    6100 gal. In ground pool,1HP Pentair Superflo pump, 100 sq. ft. Cartridge filter , 3" tab dispenser, Aqua-Cal heat pump system ,Baracuda MX8 cleaner, in a Birdcage,Taylor K-2006 complete FAS-DPD chlorine kit.
    "Remember Folks Freedom Isn't FREE !!!"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising the CYA up with Trichlor pucks

Use the bottom of PoolMath "Effects of Adding Chemicals" to see the tabs effect on CYA. I believe a normal 3" puck is ~9 ozs (recalling from memory) and would raise your CYA 6.1 ppm / tab.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I always have a hard time answering "how much does a trichlor puck weigh" since I have never used one in my pool... They are usually between 6 and 8 ounces. They used to be a constant 8 ounces but then over the last few years, they've gone down to 7 ounces in many that I've seen.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely raise the CYA. Be aware that trichlor is very acidic, so if you're already having to add baking soda to raise TA, you will likely have to add more to keep up with the loss caused by the pucks. And keep a close watch on the pH.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Richard, So do you think I would be better off just getting some stabilizer and use that instead of the trichlor pucks? I just thought I would use up whats left behind before they went bad or maybe I should save them in case I have to go away for awhile. Pool math says 12-13 oz of stabilizer I just wasnt sure how much stabilizer is in one of them Thrichlor pucks, I'll wait a week or so and see what it reads I put 2 in to start. I think it takes awhile for it to give a good CYA reading level once you add it to the water.
    6100 gal. In ground pool,1HP Pentair Superflo pump, 100 sq. ft. Cartridge filter , 3" tab dispenser, Aqua-Cal heat pump system ,Baracuda MX8 cleaner, in a Birdcage,Taylor K-2006 complete FAS-DPD chlorine kit.
    "Remember Folks Freedom Isn't FREE !!!"

6. Back To Top    #6

As long as you keep them sealed in the bucket, trichlor pucks will keep for years. You don't have to use them up before they go bad.

Effects of Adding Chemicals says that 16 oz (2 pucks, more or less) will raise the CYA in a 6100 gallon pool by 11. By comparison, to raise CYA alone by 20 requires 1 lb of CYA granules. Except CYA is sold in 4 or 5 lb canisters, so... I'd probably just use the pucks since I had them already.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!