Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clarifier good or bad

1. Back To Top    #1

Clarifier good or bad

Pool clarifier? Good bad or simply not necessary.

I poured a bottle in for the first time and it added a shimmer and clearness of crystal.

Thoughts?
    - 25,000 gallons in ground fiberglass pool
    - Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter
    - Pentair VS Inteliflo Pump, Pentair SolarTouch with Solar Panels - 8 hrs run time.
    - Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit
    - Polaris 380 with Hayward Booster Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clarifier good or bad

The blue clarifier? The kind I have seen sold (maybe Lowes) is ment to make the debris in the water sink to the bottom so it easier to vacume up. I will not purchase again.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

Probably "None of the above" or even "All of the above".

Like anything else, clarifier is a tool to accomplish something with your water. Most of the time you can get that same shimmer from proper chemistry. Routine clarifier use can cause filter problems, so in that case it isn't necessary. People are often tempted to use clarifier as a Band-Aid, and in that case it is bad because it can mask the symptoms of other problems and is a waste of money. In the case where the chemistry is good, the filter is working and there are no other issues, occasionally a pool owner may need to hurry along the process of clearing the water for a party or event and a rare dose of clarifier in that instance is okay.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Copy that. It is a blue substance. Product by in the swim. Worked wonders with blue as can blue water clarity.

I guess I'll use it sparingly if at all.

Just amazed that it did wonders to my water.
    - 25,000 gallons in ground fiberglass pool
    - Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter
    - Pentair VS Inteliflo Pump, Pentair SolarTouch with Solar Panels - 8 hrs run time.
    - Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit
    - Polaris 380 with Hayward Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Last year my DE filter broke and a bunch of stuff got put back in the pool. I had it fixed but the water looked pretty terrible. I added some clarifier during the nonstop run while periodically vacuuming. I was back to normal in about three days. I used the "Back to Blue " stuff, a neighbor gave me some.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have used it after my water was already cleared by the SLAM process. It doesn't take much, only about an ounce or two for my 7000 gallon AGP. It did make my water even clearer and gave it a "polished look". That's the only way I'd use it though. I would not use it to try and clear murky water.
    18ft. diameter, 48 inch deep Sharkline Reprieve AGP, 7000 gallons, Intex 14 inch sand filter with 3/4 H.P. 2,150 GPH pump, Intex SWG
    TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Pool clarifier? Good bad or simply not necessary.
    Probably "None of the above" or even "All of the above".

Like anything else, clarifier is a tool to accomplish something with your water. Most of the time you can get that same shimmer from proper chemistry. Routine clarifier use can cause filter problems, so in that case it isn't necessary. People are often tempted to use clarifier as a Band-Aid, and in that case it is bad because it can mask the symptoms of other problems and is a waste of money. In the case where the chemistry is good, the filter is working and there are no other issues, occasionally a pool owner may need to hurry along the process of clearing the water for a party or event and a rare dose of clarifier in that instance is okay.
    JohnT's post is worth repeating. Sometimes, clarifier can be quite helpful but it can also be a setback to use it, too. Generally, the experience we see on the forum is it just isn't necessary and can cause some problems in some cases. I would not use it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School