Jun 27, 2015
spring hill fl
13.5k pool
Salt water
Plaster 3 years old
DTP test kit
---------------------
All Chemistry is good.

three weeks ago I treated the pool for stains with jacks magic #2 and Magenta Stuff. Stains are gone, pool looks good. but now i have cloudy water. My FC reading is 1.5 and my CC is 9+. Jack said chlorine reading would be off (using regents to test) so for 3 weeks I let it go. 2 weeks later my pool began to cloud. I thought it was dust so i let it settle for 3 days. It looked better. I vacuumed to filter, cleaned filter. After 4 people swam for a few hours pool was even cloudier. Jacks tech said add 2 lbs of non-chlorine shock. My FC did not move. I read the threads here about overcoming CC by reaching breakpoint. but that would be 10-12 gallons (rough math) of 8.25% bleach. Another thread by the same person said just bring it to 15 and it should work. I added 3 gallons of 8.25% bleach at 7PM to hit 20 FC and 4 hours later My FC was only 3. So between the 2 lbs of NON-Chlorine and 3 gallons of bleach not much happened. the next morning called tech. He said shock with 11lbs of NON-Chlorine. Why Non? Said that if you use chlorine and don't hit breakpoint you will increase your CC. Sounded good so I brought a sample (same morning) to the store (sorry but I wanted a second opinion) and I told her my issue. I needed to know the CC. She said I have no CC and FC is 2. Suggested replace 2 year old filter, clean every day, see results in a week. I had a new filter so I put it on. That's where I'm at now.

I have used the test kit for 1 season. I know how to use it. Unsure why my CC reading is showing 9 and theirs does not see any. I have added bleach to pool before. Adding that much bleach should have moved my FC more than that. I am puzzled. I want to discuss this with you guys and see if we can figure this out.

Thank you in advance.

I would bring the pH to around 7.2
Add enough stabilizer in a sock in front of a return to bring the CYA up to 30. To SLAM (shock) at a CYA of 30 you should be at 12ppm Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Add enough bleach to bring your FC up to shock level and hold it there and do a SLAM - - > Pool School - How To

Once you add stabilizer consider it's at the target level of 30 and don't bother to retest for a week. It can take that long till it's fully dissolved and shows up on a test.
Same with pH. Adjust before you raise the FC and test again once you've completed the SLAM and the FC has dropped back down.

This should take care of the CC problem and hopefully the cloudiness is algae.

When are you cleaning your filter ?? Are you using the 20-25% pressure increase as your guide ?? Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

:testresults:

The high CC is caused by the non-chlorine shock. https://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=24

Eventually it will go away if you stop using MPS.

If the water is cloudy, most likely you have algae, and a good algae bloom will consume chlorine about as fast as you can pour it.

My advice: stop using the non-chlorine "shock" and follow the SLAM instructions. Don't bother with testing the CC for a few days because it will be wrong.

I can lower PH no problem. The chart does not have a shock for CYA of 50. Should I bring my stabilizer up to 70 first. I would add a pound to do so. Why put it in a sock? Curious? Then after I add the stabilizer I can add the 4 gallons of bleach the same day or wait till the stabilizer dissolves?

Oh nice sock? Did you steal them from the wicked witch?

Sorry, I must have confused your post with another one. For some reason I thought your water's CYA was close to zero.

Do you have a SWCG ??

You can go with pH of 7.6 or lower it a bit and with a CYA of 50 you're shooting for a SLAM FC level of 20.
I'm guessing your CC is still high and it's algae that's eating your shock.

You can broadcast the stabilizer but if you vacuum it will end up in your filter and during a SLAM you might need to clean the filter and that would rinse out the CYA in the filter. It takes a few days for the stuff to dissolve into the water where it's not getting trapped in a filter.
Same will happen if you add it to a skimmer, goes right to the filter. As long as you can wait a week before you clean the filter you're good but that's not always reasonable.
The water from the return will help dissolve it quicker.

Attachments

• CYA in a sock.jpg
    CYA in a sock.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 101
DO NOT add stabilizer before SLAMing the pool. Best to SLAM with a lower CYA than a higher one. Read through the entire SLAM procedure.

You can raise your CYA if you like after the SLAM. Best to put all the CYA into a sock so that it has time to dissolve. CYA takes quite some time to dissolve and you don't want it to settle to the bottom and stain your pool surface. You also don't want to just dump it in the skimmer, get trapped in the filter and potentially be backwashed out before it completely dissolves.

yes CC high according to my test.
OK so i will lower the ph a bit and add 3 gallons of bleach.
Now I just added 3 gallons last night with very little increase. So I will repeat this again now. Then I will test 2 times a day for FC. If it is below 20 then I will add enough bleach to bring it back up.

You want to keep it at 20, best you can. It's maintaining it at that level that gets the job done. If you're only getting to 20 and than falling way below it and raising it again it will take longer and more bleach to perform and pass a SLAM. It's best to test as often as possible at first, every hour or two. As the SLAM progresses you'll see the FC holding longer and longer and you can test less and less.

And brush as often as you can !!

so in the course of the first day or 2 i might be adding 9-10-11 gallons of bleach.

Thats what i was concerned about. That I would be adding a lot of chlorine. Now I understand that it is necessary to add as much as needed (3 gallons at first) to reach then additional gallons as needed until it does not drop more than 1ppm overnight.
I will begin at dusk and monitor the level adding 3 gallons and testing 1.5 hours later and adding an additional 2-3 gallons until it holds. If this is correct I am off to empty a shelf at walmart of 8.25% bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup, very possible.

There have been some green monsters that seem like a bottomless pit.
I had that happen one year as I couldn't stay on top of testing due to my job and I had been lazy the previous year when I closed it. It WAS a green monster.

Attachments

• Bleach bottles  2.jpg
    Bleach bottles 2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 95
Thombpool, in your signature it says salt water pool but doesn't have any mention if you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. Do you have one and are you using it ??

I just love a good SLAM.

Attachments

• SLAM a dirty pool.jpg
    SLAM a dirty pool.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 83
LOL on the occupation-kid's father! There is NO better occupation AND no harder occupation in the world! NOW you have added SLAM master to it as well :shock: You will sleep very well when you have a chance to lay your head down!

You go this! Keep the FC at or just a little above SLAM level and you will start to see the difference.

Wait until you DO empty the shelf! "Oh just doing some crime scene clean up" LOL

Kim

Just in case you missed Richards post about the CC, non chlorine shock interferes with the CC test. That interference will go away on its own over time if you don't add any more non-chorine shock. Why the pool store told you to add that stuff is beyond me.

As for the CYA. Just as an FYI, you can raise CYA with dichlor granules, or trichlor pucks without the stuff getting stuck in your filter.

Finally got new regent. Tested free chlorine. Its 38. Oops. I think I will stop with the bleach and test again every 3 hours and not add any more until it drops to 15. If it holds for the next 12 hours I will assume the alge is beat.

My last test was this morning. It was a 12. I have added 8 gallons in the past 10 hours. I have added a total of 20 gallons in 25 hours. Pool is still cloudy. I've cleaned the filter 2 times

I hope my current condition is not worse than my initial problem. Swg is now off.

My readings as of now are
PH purple
Cya 85-90
Ta 70
Ch 0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.