Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you add your granular products?

1. Back To Top    #1
    South Jersey

How do you add your granular products?

I just had a conversation with another above ground pool owner and we started talking about how we manage our pools.

The conversation turned to granular pool products and how we add them to the pool.

I would like to get your feedback on how you add your granular products.

1. Add thru skimmer box, with pump running?
    2. Just broadcast over water with pump running?
    3. Pre dissolve in a bucket and pour into pool?
    4. Pre dissolve in a bucket and add thru skimmer with pump running?
    5. Another way not listed?

Any explanation's of why you did it a certain may help someone else.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube
    My Wedding Cake support arm fix write up.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: How do you add your granular products?

Well, the only three granular products I have ever really used were CYA, Calcium & Borax.

CYA in a sock, suspended in front of a return; calcium dispersed over the deep end of the pool and the borax pre-dissolved & poured in front of a return.

The nice thing about Pool School is the list of suggested chemicals to use and suggestions on how to apply them.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    NW Ohio

1. Add thru skimmer box, with pump running?
    I add pretty much nothing this way as there is the possibility (however small) of it plugging up the line. In an above ground pool with removable hoses this isn't as big a concern, but for IG pools this could be a disaster to fix. The only situation it makes much sense is one option for adding CYA, but the sock method is preferred.

2. Just broadcast over water with pump running?
    I do this for most of them. Baking soda, soda ash, and borax are relatively harmless if they touch the sides or bottom of the pool. While they typically dissolve quickly a quick brushing is good for the pool anyway.

I rarely use cal-hypo or dichlor but when I do I pour it slowly in front of the return while the pump is on high and then if I need to I brush afterwards. Although it might be preferred by others I never dissolve anything in a bucket first. My thoughts are that if everything is safe once it is in the bulk water then I should get it in the bulk water immediately.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Another thing to consider is that some granule products (i.e. stabilizer) are slow dissolving. If an pool owner pours the granules in the skimmer and they in-turn go directly to the filter, those owners with sand or DE filters may lose those granules if they backwash soon after. It's happened many times, so that's $16-$20 that is literally ... "down the drain".
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

SE Minnesota

CYA in a sock in front of a return, haven't had to add anything else in granular form yet.
    Intex Easy Set 18'x48" 7 years old (retired)
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Tucson, AZ

It goes without saying that any granular product, if added by broadcast over the surface, should be accompanied by extensive brushing of both the pool walls and floor. Solid chemicals should never be allowed to sit on a pool surface; we've had posts of people noticing plaster discoloration after applying salt and letting it sit. So, if you add granular products to your pool, then you should make it a point to brush those chemicals until they are fully dissolved to avoid staining or damage to the pool surface.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates