Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the Recommended CYA for My Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chandler, Arizona

What is the Recommended CYA for My Pool?

In reading the many threads in this wonderful community, I continually see varying opinion on what a pool owner's CYA should be. So I would like to take this opportunity and ask you for your feedback on what my pool's target CYA should be. Incidentally, I measured it tonight and it was 30 so I promptly visited Amazon and purchased two of the following: : Clorox Pool Garden

28k gallon in-ground pebbletec pool w/waterfall and grotto feature
    Triton II sand filter
    "The Pool Cleaner" 4-wheel vacuum
    1.5hp main pump; 1.5hp water feature pump
    Taylor K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: What is the Recommended CYA for My Pool?

Two links for you:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Notice there are different levels depending on YOUR pool. Your area will also make a difference. AZ, TX, FL will want it a little higher due to the sun.

Is this what you were looking for?

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

I agree with Kim, we have the normal recommendation's but they need to be taylored for each pool. Your CYA would probably be better raised to 50 and see how your chlorine use is changed
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4
    East Texas

A CYA level of 60 is barely enough in Texas with NO SWG and pool exposed to full sun all day. And I still lose 4ppm of FC daily with that.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Yep, I would start at 50 to see what your loss is and go up 10 at a time from there to see if you lose less.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

If you don't have any cover or shade I'd think that 50 would be a minimum for AZ.

Can you find stabilizer locally ?? Tried HomeDepot, Walmart ...
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Here's a question: Do you have any plans to take a vacation during the Summer? If so, target 50 for now, which leaves room to use pucks and a floater while you're gone. If you've already burned up all your vacation time, head straight for 60.

In either case, be absolutely sure there's no algae because it's a lot harder to eliminate it after you've raised the CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!