Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Underwater flagstone on Baja step?

1. Back To Top    #1

Underwater flagstone on Baja step?

Hi guys a quick question, I've been look at everyone's beautiful pools on this forum and noticed that some people have flagstone underwater on the Baja step. Im curious and interested in doing this. Is there some kind of sealer that goes underneath the flagstone to stop the water from leaking through the flagstone to the gunite?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Underwater flagstone on Baja step?

Not usually. If you have a good PB, he will choose, or help you choose rocks that are good for below water line install.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a flagstone beach entry - so part of it is underwater. I do not remember them sealing it - but I could have missed it.
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the information, I was a little puzzled because I read an article on the internet that stated, "It is common to see pools with Flagstone Coping, but not too often do you see these materials under water in swimming pools. To accomplish this, we take a special underwater sealer and apply this to the Gunite or Shotcrete shell. After that, we lay the stones, seal the grout, then seal the whole area again. Due to the corrosive nature of salt water systems in pool water, it is important that only certain types of sealers are used so that break down and leaks do not occur."
    Remodel Completion 8/22/16. Pool-16x32', Raised Stacked Stone Spa with Waterfall - 9x9', Pool Depth 4-6', Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Intelliflo VF Pump, WhisperFlow 2HP Pump, Pentair 320 Clean and Clear filter, Easytouch 8, Screenlogic 2, (3) Pentair Globrites, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 1.5HP Blower, 4 Sheer Descent Waterfalls, Rico Rock Waterfall.

5. Back To Top    #5

I wish I could help you! Pretty much all my friends have flagstone beach entries (similar to mine, just larger) - Its really common in my area. It is VERY possible that they seal it - I don't know. My PB didn't charge me anything additional for the beach entry - compared to just a reg step down.
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread