Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Strange stuff on bottom of pool <pics>

1. Back To Top    #1

Strange stuff on bottom of pool <pics>

As far as I can tell i have all my chemicals right were they need to be.

FC-9
    CC-0
    TC-9
    TA-100
    CH-somewhere between 260(fill water hardness) and 400.waiting for the mixer to come to get an exact one
    CYA-60-70
    PH-7.5

The swirly streaks and light color dots have been there since i bought the house 7 years ago. Pool company told me it was metals and they actually did a treatment last year which helped alot. My real concern is the 2 black dots that can be clearly seen. They are perfectly round and seem to be smooth to the bottom of the pool. I swam down the other day and felt them. Nor do they rub away with my finger. Any idea what they might be?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Strange stuff on bottom of pool <pics>

Hey, how old is the plaster?

Did you drop a penny down there (sorry, Mike, I can't tell what size that dot is )

Did you test the spot.......for organic or metals stain?

....and the pool company did what treatment to make things better?

btw, I am absolutely jealous of your screen cage
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Forgot to add, your #'s look great, too!
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Hey, how old is the plaster?

Did you drop a penny down there (sorry, Mike, I can't tell what size that dot is )

Did you test the spot.......for organic or metals stain?

....and the pool company did what treatment to make things better?

btw, I am absolutely jealous of your screen cage
    lol no it is not a penny. Its about the size of a pencil eraser or a bit larger. There are 2-3 spots like that. Plaster is considerably old. This winter it will be redone. There are spots on the water line where it has flaked off.

I haven't tested for either as i need to read up on how. The pool company last year took my chlorine to 0, put some chemical in that caused the streaks to lift and then get filtered out. It was some type of metal treatment, not sure the specific name though. The dots are something new i think, not something that they treated for.

Ya i thought it was pretty cool that i could get that good of a picture of the bottom of my pool and even show the reflection of the cage.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

Mike, sounds like they (pool co.) did the ascorbic acid treatment to lift the stains. Meaning metals. (You can read about this treatment in Pool School and see if it sounds to you like what they did.)

Well, if the plaster is going to be redone this winter, you will certainally want to explore what caused the stains so that they can be avoided in the future!

Have you had your fill water tested? I'd start there.

It could also be something the pool co. put into your pool ...or maybe you

Others will chime in later w/ideas.

6. Back To Top    #6

Not really worried about the streaking, mostly the black dot, well the several black dots. The streaking I will look into when I get closer to refinishing the pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, so i left the 2 spots that were bothering me alone and now i have 3 more on the opposite side of the deep end. I put a vitamin C tab on one last night and will see if it did anything to it when i get home. If no change what is my next step? Its the round black dot in picture 1. I have 3 in close proximity now in the deep end.

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

If it didn't change it at all, try a trichlor puck on the spot too.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    If it didn't change it at all, try a trichlor puck on the spot too.
    vitamin c tab did nothing. i was just reading your other thread where you suggested she do that. I think i have some tabs in the garage. They have been there forever. Do they go bad? Ill try that next.