Just how bad is my plaster ?

dsprint

Bronze Supporter
Jan 31, 2016
PLEASANTON, CA
Yet another new pool owner here. We bought this house with a pool just before winter. After spending hours and hours on this site, I said good-bye to the pool guy, purchased a TF-100 test kit and just found out that CYA level is around 160 (half tap water method). And then decided to drain the pool.

However once the water level started to go down, I am seeing all the cracks that weren't obvious with the water in. Now I am wondering how bad these cracks are ? How long do I have before I will need a full re-plaster ? Pictures follow.

WP_20160406_16_47_21_Pro.jpgWP_20160406_16_47_52_Pro.jpgWP_20160406_16_48_08_Pro.jpgWP_20160406_16_49_20_Pro.jpgWP_20160406_16_46_57_Pro.jpg

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Wow, that doesn't look good for the home team! If it holds water and doesn't leak you can live with it as long as you can/want to. But, once it starts to leak then you'll have to pull the trigger on a new plaster job. I can't see trying to repair that to fix any leaks.

Good job punting the pool guy and getting a great test kit.

Thanks for supporting the site, that supporter badge looks good over there! :)

Thanks for the advice. It does not seem to be leaking so far. I guess I will refill it for now and start saving up for a re-plaster.

And after all the help I got from the site it would be a crime to not support the site.

As pooldv stated, you should re-fill the pool. Leaving it dry will cause further cracking. The cracking has nothing to do with the water balance.
It appears that the plaster is losing it's bond to the substrate beneath. But the plaster may remain in place and not fall off the walls as along as it remains filled with water.
If it is not losing water, it is fine, and re-plastering can be put off until you are ready.

Yup, those photos were taken while the submersible pump was doing its thing slowly. I replaced 80% of the water and started to work on stabilizing the chemistry. I am all excited to use the pool next week, confidently.

I wish I had more reason to engage with this wonderful community but some 98% of the stuff I need to know is already covered in previous posts :)

I wish I had more reason to engage with this wonderful community but some 98% of the stuff I need to know is already covered in previous posts :)

HA! We have some engagement you CAN do! Start off by doing some reading in the different forums. Try the algae prevention forum. As you read you will learn. Jump over to the "Under const" forum and do some reading. You can cheer and cry with people over their builds. We also have the "coffee spot" where you can chit, chat..........oh don't forget the cooking area--------yummmmmmm.

As you learn jump in and answer as you can. The more you read, the more you will learn, the more you learn, the more you can help!

I started here learning how to test my water with my test kit BEFORE I even ordered my pool! I wanted to make sure I COULD really do it! Look at me now-queen of the "under constr" forum because I LOVE to help people spend their money! LOL

I look forward to seeing you around the forums!

Kim

Yup, those photos were taken while the submersible pump was doing its thing slowly. I replaced 80% of the water and started to work on stabilizing the chemistry. I am all excited to use the pool next week, confidently.

Alright! Here's to a great summer! :paddle:

Hang out, learn some stuff and help some folks if you can.

Hey, welcome to TFP, and thank you for your support. :goodjob:

If it isn't leaking, that's great, but sooner the better. It's a really nice pool, and with some minimal TLC and know how, it won't look this way again. It worthy of a nice new finish and a soda blast to clean up the water line. It'll be really beautiful once re-done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It should also work on any threads you comment on as well. There is also a link called "thread tools" just above the blue/gray line at the top. It has a place you can click to subscribe to a thread you emails on.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.