Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just how bad is my plaster ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Just how bad is my plaster ?

Yet another new pool owner here. We bought this house with a pool just before winter. After spending hours and hours on this site, I said good-bye to the pool guy, purchased a TF-100 test kit and just found out that CYA level is around 160 (half tap water method). And then decided to drain the pool.

However once the water level started to go down, I am seeing all the cracks that weren't obvious with the water in. Now I am wondering how bad these cracks are ? How long do I have before I will need a full re-plaster ? Pictures follow.

WP_20160406_16_47_21_Pro.jpgWP_20160406_16_47_52_Pro.jpgWP_20160406_16_48_08_Pro.jpgWP_20160406_16_49_20_Pro.jpgWP_20160406_16_46_57_Pro.jpg
    14,000 Gallon Gunite Pool, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE Filter, Hayward single speed pump, Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just how bad is my plaster ?

That looks like plain jane concrete to me.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Wow, that doesn't look good for the home team! If it holds water and doesn't leak you can live with it as long as you can/want to. But, once it starts to leak then you'll have to pull the trigger on a new plaster job. I can't see trying to repair that to fix any leaks.

Good job punting the pool guy and getting a great test kit.

Thanks for supporting the site, that supporter badge looks good over there!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice. It does not seem to be leaking so far. I guess I will refill it for now and start saving up for a re-plaster.

And after all the help I got from the site it would be a crime to not support the site.
    14,000 Gallon Gunite Pool, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE Filter, Hayward single speed pump, Spa

5. Back To Top    #5

As pooldv stated, you should re-fill the pool. Leaving it dry will cause further cracking. The cracking has nothing to do with the water balance.
    It appears that the plaster is losing it's bond to the substrate beneath. But the plaster may remain in place and not fall off the walls as along as it remains filled with water.
    If it is not losing water, it is fine, and re-plastering can be put off until you are ready.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yup, those photos were taken while the submersible pump was doing its thing slowly. I replaced 80% of the water and started to work on stabilizing the chemistry. I am all excited to use the pool next week, confidently.

I wish I had more reason to engage with this wonderful community but some 98% of the stuff I need to know is already covered in previous posts

7. Back To Top    #7

Nice pool! Cool design.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dsprint View Post

I wish I had more reason to engage with this wonderful community but some 98% of the stuff I need to know is already covered in previous posts
    HA! We have some engagement you CAN do! Start off by doing some reading in the different forums. Try the algae prevention forum. As you read you will learn. Jump over to the "Under const" forum and do some reading. You can cheer and cry with people over their builds. We also have the "coffee spot" where you can chit, chat..........oh don't forget the cooking area--------yummmmmmm.

As you learn jump in and answer as you can. The more you read, the more you will learn, the more you learn, the more you can help!

I started here learning how to test my water with my test kit BEFORE I even ordered my pool! I wanted to make sure I COULD really do it! Look at me now-queen of the "under constr" forum because I LOVE to help people spend their money! LOL

I look forward to seeing you around the forums!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dsprint View Post
    Yup, those photos were taken while the submersible pump was doing its thing slowly. I replaced 80% of the water and started to work on stabilizing the chemistry. I am all excited to use the pool next week, confidently.

Alright! Here's to a great summer!

Hang out, learn some stuff and help some folks if you can.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Hey, welcome to TFP, and thank you for your support.

If it isn't leaking, that's great, but sooner the better. It's a really nice pool, and with some minimal TLC and know how, it won't look this way again. It worthy of a nice new finish and a soda blast to clean up the water line. It'll be really beautiful once re-done.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Trust onBalance!

12. Back To Top    #12

My suggestion for sooner is purely for enjoyment factor. It's such a nice looking pool. Saving up for a fine finish however will reap very nice rewards.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

I need to figure out how to receive email notifications when someone posts here.

Thanks kimkats for showing me around.

14. Back To Top    #14

Try this for email notifs...

-setting-upper right
    -general settings-middle left
    -Default Thread Subscription Mode
    -pick the one you want

Let me know if this works for you.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I just did that. Looks like that will work only for threads I start in the future. I manually subscribed to this one, for now. All well.

16. Back To Top    #16

It should also work on any threads you comment on as well. There is also a link called "thread tools" just above the blue/gray line at the top. It has a place you can click to subscribe to a thread you emails on.

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

Yay, its all working now.