Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mulch!! The good the bad the ugly.

1. Back To Top    #1

Mulch!! The good the bad the ugly.

Anyone have mulch around there pool. Thinking about putting it around mine. Heard that it can attract and and the can eat kitten holes in your liner. What are yalls thought or experiences.

Edit.
    Heard that it can attract ants and they can eat holes in the floor liner.
    16,000 gals. 27 Round AG. Intex SWG. 1.5 hp Hayward Power Flo Lx. Jacuzzi 190L sand filter. TF-100. Full sun.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mulch!! The good the bad the ugly.

Be careful about black dyed mulch as the dye can cause the water to go black if you get a lot in the pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have mulch in areas within 3-4 feet of my pool. It's fine except when we get a torrential rain. Then, if my pool isn't covered, it flows into the pool. However, when that happens, I scoop it out and have no significant FC demand. I also have heard that the dyed mulch can cause issues. What are kitten holes?

4. Back To Top    #4

I've got about a 2 foot cypress mulch path all around my pool except where the deck goes down the length on one side. Going on 6 years now. I ain't dealing with grass on the pool wall.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow you probably think I'm three sheets to the wind. Lol have to proof read. I heard that ants can eat holes in the liner floor.

Also I do not want to do cypress. I want red mulch.
    16,000 gals. 27 Round AG. Intex SWG. 1.5 hp Hayward Power Flo Lx. Jacuzzi 190L sand filter. TF-100. Full sun.

6. Back To Top    #6

What's wrong with drinkin and postin? We didn't even notice! LOL! We have some cedar mulch around the pool. They say cedar repels bugs. Which seems to be true because we have some giant ant hills around but none in the cedar mulch.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, how is your drainage (the likelihood of it entering your pool)? Get a sample if you can and set it in a jar of water and see what happens. I use "premium dark hardwood" and like I said, when it gets into the pool I don't have issues. Have another brew. I did.

8. Back To Top    #8

Since you have an above ground pool the mulch is not as likely to be blown into the water, however people may track it in on their feet. You can treat the mulch to get rid of any ants you may have. If you like the look of much around the pool go for it! I started out with mulch around the base of my pool but eventually I put down some spare brick I had after tearing down a wall.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

My husband dug a trench all the way around our pool and installed a French drain covered with gravel. Every spring I apply ant and weed granules to prevent problems. We have no drainage problems at all. The gravel doesn't have to be replaced like mulch does.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I used to have much, the kind made from ground up old tires and dyed red. I replaced it after one year with river pebbles because it wouldn't stay put.

No problems with the pebbles and they look better too IMO.

25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

11. Back To Top    #11

We have cedar mulch around our pool. It smells great and I've noticed less ants then last year when we didn't have mulch around it.
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    I used to have much, the kind made from ground up old tires and dyed red. I replaced it after one year with river pebbles because it wouldn't stay put.

No problems with the pebbles and they look better too IMO.

That looks fantastic. Nicely done!
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.